Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Difficult Situation With a Newbie

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Difficult Situation With a Newbie

Postby leggaj5 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:55 am

Start a campaign to have the mountain on the Coors Light can changed to a different 14er, maybe Mt. Sherman...or Mt. Sanitas.

Postby kiliclimber7_17_02 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:13 am

It's a tough climb especially the last 150 feet or so. Some difficult moves even if the rock is dry and also there is a bit of route finding. However the second post may have gotten it right. The approach will be tough enough to cause him to pause and think about it. Also the views of El Diente packing in are impressive.

Postby Jim Davies » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:15 am

For some reason I was just reminded of Maurice Wilson. Maybe the name "Wilson" plus beer is causing your buddy's delusions. Or maybe it's just a Y chromosome thing.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby globreal » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:41 am

susanjoypaul wrote:As a mother of two boys, I can tell you that the more you try to dissuade him, the greater his resolve will grow to prove you wrong. I would encourage him emphatically to follow through with his plans.

In fact, you should involve yourself as much as possible. Start asking him questions, like:

1) How many miles is it up to the lake?
2) How much does your pack weigh with all that camping gear in it?
3) What kind of 4-season tent are you bringing?
4) Is your bag a sub-zero? How cold does it get up there at night?
5) How much fuel are you bringing to melt water?
6) What route are you taking? Is that where all those massive boulders slid earlier this year?
7) What's the avalanche danger like up there right now?

These are valid questions, not scare tactics.

I love Susan's reverse psychology in asking questions. Here are some more off the top of my head:
8 ) How are you going prevent your water from freezing?
9) How much longer will it take you hiking in snow with snowshoes when carrying a heavy overnight backpack?
10) How will you navigate (find your way out) if you get caught in "whiteout" winter conditions?
11) What will you do if you get injured and you CAN'T hike out like slimshady's recent ordeal:
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=37839
How will you get help?
12) And about those brass balls you mentioned, will they truly make up for your "zero knowledge of mountaineering skills?"
Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die."
~John 11:25

Postby Doug Shaw » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:51 am

globreal wrote:12) And about those brass balls you mentioned, will they truly make up for your "zero knowledge of mountaineering skills?"

Brass balls would seem like a terrible thing to carry on a winter climb. You think cotton conducts heat away from you quickly?

Postby 12ersRule » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:56 am

My only advice is that he should wait 17 days so he could potentially collect a snowflake.

Postby moneymike » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:33 pm

madbuck wrote:He may lose interest if it turns out nobody else is impressed.

I've found that pointing to a picture of the Coors mountain in a bar and telling the pretty girl next to me "I skied that" can be a good conversation starter. It's a damn sexy mountain.

I say go for it! Dying is a small price to pay for looking cool 8)

Postby RoanMtnMan » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:27 pm

Of course on the flip side of the coin I was 19, and had never been to 14,000ft in my life, when I told my father I was flying to WA to climb Rainier without a guide, but with an equally naive buddy and then I was flying to Nepal solo when I graduated college (on my own dime), and then going to Alaska to hitchhike for 2 months, and then leading an expedition up Denali at age 24. He was totally supportive, but repeated all the sound advice he could muster. All ill-advised adventures, but it was what I wanted at the time. All trips were completed without harm, a lot of luck, experience gained, and fueled a lifetime passion for the mountains. So it is hard to pass judgement for me. This guy could end up being on the sharp end of your rope one day. Just a thought.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Postby JDip » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:06 am

Dex wrote:
JDip wrote:Hey the kid's either got a (sic) dream or a (sic) death wish.

(sick) or (sic) ?

http://www.dailywritingtips.com/what-does-sic-mean/

Either or, take your pick.
I want to know the thoughts of God. All the rest are details. -Albert Einstein

It's not the height of the mountain that makes it great, it is the mountain itself. -J.D.

Postby ulvetano » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:12 am

With existing (non) snowpack, he'll be perfectly fine. I'd say go for it.

Postby TallGrass » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:12 pm

susanjoypaul wrote:In fact, you should involve yourself as much as possible. Start asking him questions, like: 1) How many miles is it up to the lake? 2) How much does your pack weigh...

Might even ask how he's going to cross the all the beaver ponds.

He's looking to overcome obstacles and you're making yourself another one, thus he'll...
How stable is trying to best the newb who knows he'll best the mountain?
Who's to say he's not the next Winter Cavedog? Supporter or dream-dasher?

SJP, conversely, is approaching from the inferior or peer-to-peer. If he's not on the Cavedog end of the bell curve, the approach may turn him back, but hopefully he'll have enough gas to hike back. I've gotten the "silent doubtful eye" or can't-do-it's from others, but I tend to ask them why and then make sure I address it in my plans. Go gear shopping with him (stuff is cheap, right?). Hike up Pikes together. Do an overnight prep trip with him where you camp outside your car(s) at a high, cold, windy pass. You do your thing and let him do his. Hell, he may know a trick you can steal!

I prefer to just ask questions, like when someone says they "layed it down" to avoid hitting something with their motorcycle. Oh, so what did you physically do to lowside it without highsiding? Which controls did you use? Avoid? Can you demonstrate? You don't know? You don't remember? How can one tell the difference between choosing to lay 'er down and just losing control then crashing? [BTW, I know how to, and also why it is suboptimal for decelerating.]

I say if you love him,
let him go.
If the mountain loves you,
it'll give him back.
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Postby Jim Davies » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:23 pm

The mountain doesn't love you.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

PreviousNext