Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Thruhike of the 14ers

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Thruhike of the 14ers

Postby colbyde » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:20 pm

I dont post on this site very often, and this is a perfect example why. Debating the word epic? What I love about hiking and the wilderness is the lack of judgment and the personal journey. Hiking a 14'er in general could be considered an epic journey to a large amount of people where as for others it wouldn't. Its all relative.

Though I find a lot of good reading and love seeing accounts of others journeys, i hate the dbags that have to bring everything down. Doug Shaw, I don't care if your the Alex Honnold of hiking, there's just no reason to be a dick. Every adventure, regardless of size, starts somewhere. Maybe he'll get 25 peaks before he bails, maybe he completes it, maybe he wont even start but who cares. What positive outcome comes from immediately bagging on his idea right away and telling him its not epic. If its not so epic maybe you should sack up and make a run for it.

I absolutely hate the attitude that people bring to the table on sites like this because its not what hiking and adventuring is all about. And for the record ill call any successful adventure that puts a smile on my face epic. keep the negativity to yourself and maybe you should find an epic journey of your own instead of wasting your time shitting on other peoples.

Postby colbyde » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:31 pm

And best of luck on your journey, I will be reading along and following the progress. My intentions were not to jack your thread with my rant.

Postby DeucesWild » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:21 pm

colbyde wrote:And best of luck on your journey, I will be reading along and following the progress.

Speaking of journeys and following along, maybe you should track this one while you're at it: www.14ers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=33284

And for another journey worth tracking, my brother Ace got out of the hoosegow in Rwanda and if he can beat the extradition request from the Botswanans he'll be on his way home soon!

Oh, I almost forgot! Kumbaya.
Snowflakes, Uber Alles!

www.deuceIRA.com. Put the Douche in your FiDeuceiary needs today!!

Postby justiner » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:40 pm

Thanks for the links and inspiration, John! (yours, esp.)

My Google-fu when researching the subject turned out little. I'm sad I missed Mr. Miller's talk this summer (I was out riding bikes)
The Long Ranger | STRAVA

"Any effort that has self-glorification as its final endpoint is bound to end in disaster" - Pirsig

Postby mikem0687 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:39 pm

colbyde wrote:I absolutely hate the attitude that people bring to the table on sites like this because its not what hiking and adventuring is all about. And for the record ill call any successful adventure that puts a smile on my face epic. keep the negativity to yourself and maybe you should find an epic journey of your own instead of wasting your time shitting on other peoples.

You must hate yourself also.

Postby colbyde » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:40 pm

yup. dbag

Postby Doug Shaw » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:29 pm

I apologize to the original poster for the fact that my first post has led to such digressions. I violated my own rule by posting when I had nothing of real consequence to contribute, and for that I apologize.

I have deleted my original post in the hopes that it will stop people from dragging it up again days after that topic has been well exhausted, and hopefully the thread can get back on topic. To that end, I invite people who have additional thoughts and concerns about my conduct in this thread to send me PRIVATE messages, instead of posting and cluttering up the thread further.

Postby jdawud » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:04 pm

Hey folks,

I've been unable to embed google earth on my site, so I'm going to upload a static image of the route. I've been slowly revising the route and think I may be able to shave some miles in a few places. I might even be able to bring it down to 1100 miles.

Jim asked if I'd be doing live updates. Probably not quite live, but yes, I will be keeping a journal and updating my site as possible.

A few people have asked about backtracking for Holy Cross. I'm working on an alternate routing that would put it after Aspen, but I don't think that will end up being the best way of doing it. If it were closer to Aspen or Massive, it might be easier, but i'm pretty sure that including it as the last peak in the Tenmile-mosquito range will be easier from a resupply standpoint. We shall see.

Justiner asked about the 60 day estimate. It's based on 1200 miles, at about 20 miles a day. It may be as low as 50 days since 20 miles a day is a conservative pace. 25 per day is more likely on non peak days.

Also, if anyone has any info on the trip by Mike Whitehurst, please post or message me...I'd love to find out ANYTHING about his trip.

Doug, I appreciate your last post. I hope everyone can let the 'epic' thing go.

I'd also like to thank everyone for their interest and kind words of support....thru-hiking is an often lonely pursuit and there aren't cheering spectators along the way or anyone at the end to say congratulations. It will be nice to know that people are cheering me on from behind their computer screens.
Junaid 'Speshul 41' Dawud
www.14ersthruhike.com

Postby jdawud » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:49 pm

Hey everybody!

I've put up a map that links to the .kml file on my site. For those that would like to view the route first draft, this should work in google earth.

Happy Holidays!

---Junaid

www.14ersthruhike.com
www.14ersthruhike.com

Postby KentonB » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:30 pm

Just did a really quick look at the route... Definitely ambitious! I have one small recommendation. I noticed that as you enter the Wilson group you're approaching from Navaho Basin. You might try using the Kilpacker trail/basin. I'm sure your goal isn't necessarily to save miles... but it is a safer way up El Diente (less chance of snow... and less loose rock).

Postby pseudoghost » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:33 pm

It looks like the majority of your time will be spent near roads. So I'm wondering... where do you plan on staying as most areas outside of right-of-ways on the roads that you've highlighted are probably private areas? In particular, there are a few days where there almost certainly will not be anywhere to stay (legally) within walking distance of your likely starting locations.

Also, are you planning on being resupplied outside of major towns (by someone dropping supplies)? I don't think you'll be able to average 25 miles per day overall, especially on multiple peak days or days where it looks like you're going to have to traverse through rough terrain (read: bushwhacking), so I'd expect that you probably can't carry enough food/fuel for some of these segments...

Postby jdawud » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:29 pm

KentonB wrote:Just did a really quick look at the route... Definitely ambitious! I have one small recommendation. I noticed that as you enter the Wilson group you're approaching from Navaho Basin. You might try using the Kilpacker trail/basin. I'm sure your goal isn't necessarily to save miles... but it is a safer way up El Diente (less chance of snow... and less loose rock).

Thanks for the tip, its in the revision notes. A quick look at it on the topo does make the Kilpacker approach look a bit shorter and more direct. These are definitely the types of changes that are making the first revision such tedious fun. Matching up several data sources (including 14ers.com) and various map sets is a more detailed version of the old funny pages puzzle where you have to pick out the 10 differences between two almost identical cartoons. The idea is to minimize the miles and the Class whenever possible. And also snow, some of the revisions are simply ones that prefer a southern slope or a greater southern aspect.

@ Pseudoghost, the road walking portions are a problem as far as private property goes. As of now, I don't know where I'll be sleeping anywhere along the way. Many options are available in some areas and few in others. I'm revising the route and things like possible camp spots, alternate routes, water sources, resupply locations, etc are being worked in. There will be several revisions and alterations to the route before its ready. The resupply strategy will be a mix of PO mail drops, buying food in towns i walk through, and in a few cases, people joining me for a peak or a leg will meet me with a resupply package. I don't expect a 25 mpd overall average, but for non-summit days 25 is easily achievable. I'll probably do 40 miles a day in a few spots. I expect the overall average will be between 20 and 25 mpd. I'm an expert ultralight backpacker, the food/fuel/water/mileage balance game is what i live for. Plus I love to cook, so I will be prepping a delicious, dehydrated, calorie dense diet.
www.14ersthruhike.com

PreviousNext