Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Advice on tent for Shasta climb

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Advice on tent for Shasta climb

Postby apasquel » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:49 am

Hi there community, was wanting your input on shelter for a climb in mid-June on Mt. Shasta. In pictures and TR I've seen in June, I see many 3 season tents up there...but is having a 4 season a must on this mountain in June? I only have 3 season tents, and would prefer not buying one...or renting one Id I dont have to...I will, just dont want to. I also dont want to carry the added weight of a heavier duty tent. Also, if you've climbed this mountain in late May, June or July, i would love to see yout TR. Thanks.

Re: Advice on tent for Shasta climb

Postby lordhelmut » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:01 am

Funny you mention. I thought a 3-season tent would work, and this was the end result.

http://www.14ers.com/images/trips/othertrips/9999_2012061222184629_l.jpg

That was on June 4th. I'd say be safe and go with a 4-season. The winds can get nasty up there.

Here's the full TR -

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=12016&parmuser=lordhelmut&cpgm=tripuser

edit : My logic was that a 3-season would survive cause the forecast called for 15-20 with 35mph gusts. When we got off the mountain, we heard they had clocked as high as 65mph and my 3-season Marmot tent was basically totaled.

Postby gb » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:12 pm

I went in late May and used a Bivy at Lake Helen. Even though it was calm in the evening, we built up some big snow walls. Good thing we did because the winds started to rage in the middle of the night. When we woke up we saw someone's tent floating up in the sky like the plastic bag in the movie "American Beauty".

If I ever go to Shasta again, I'll skip camping all together. It's just too easy to climb and ski in a day.

Postby lordhelmut » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:25 pm

If I ever go to Shasta again, I'll skip camping all together. It's just too easy to climb and ski in a day.

+1.

Lake Helen is a cool venue though and worth a visit to break up the 7k climb, specially if the weather is mild.

Postby RoanMtnMan » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:24 pm

lordhelmut wrote:Funny you mention. I thought a 3-season tent would work, and this was the end result.

http://www.14ers.com/images/trips/othertrips/9999_2012061222184629_l.jpg

That was on June 4th. I'd say be safe and go with a 4-season. The winds can get nasty up there.

Here's the full TR -

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=12016&parmuser=lordhelmut&cpgm=tripuser

edit : My logic was that a 3-season would survive cause the forecast called for 15-20 with 35mph gusts. When we got off the mountain, we heard they had clocked as high as 65mph and my 3-season Marmot tent was basically totaled.

Wow, I missed that report. Well done guys. When we lived out there we climbed and skied just about every named route on that peak in all different seasons and never had anything like that happen during June. Usually summer was bivy sack or summer tent time. But hey, I guess with the right conditions anything can happen. In light of the current storm there, I sent this photos out to some climbing friends yesterday. A two day emergency snow cave ordeal on the Casaval Ridge in Feb 2001. It reminds me to check the weather and if it is gonna be bad on that peak, go surfing. Snow caves are also less weight than tents, but more difficult to setup :).

Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Postby apasquel » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:08 pm

will I be safe using a three season tent if I camp at Horse Camp? Or somewhere lower than Lake Helen high camp?

Postby ulvetano » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:32 pm

You'd be safe down there for sure.

My insight would be that if you go higher with the 3 season, just be extra dutiful in digging in a and building walls. I did Casaval twice, both in early may and made it thru ok with my 3.

Postby ed20320 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:16 am

I was there in June and my tent suffered the same end as LordHelmut's. Everything was awesome until the sun went down and then, according to the Forest Service, 80 MPH gusts were common all night long. That trip caused me to seriously rethink how and when i use a 3 season tent.

if you do bring the 3 season, bring a shovel and build a strong camp. take as much load off your tent as you possible can.

Good Luck,

Ed
In the immortal words of Socrates, “I drank WHAT?”

Postby RoanMtnMan » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:52 pm

apasquel wrote:will I be safe using a three season tent if I camp at Horse Camp? Or somewhere lower than Lake Helen high camp?

Your issue there is that it appears you live fairly low and trying to summit from Horse Camp may get you into some trouble. The reason Lake Helen is so popular, besides that it is flat, it that it is at 10,000ft.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Postby melias » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:53 pm

I did Shasta as a day hike from Bunny Flat in late June 2011 and the wind was relatively tame throughout the night (started hiking at 12:30 AM). Clearly it depends on the forecast but you should be okay in mid-June with a three-season and some solid wall building as others have noted. You could always pull off at Horse Camp to stay below treeline if you get there and the forecast ends up being really challenging (although I'd aim to make it to Helen Lake as RoanMtnMan pointed out as it breaks the climb almost in half).

The one day hike is fun but camping at Helen Lake looked like it was more enjoyable (particularly if this is your first time). I'd say it's worth hauling your planks or board to Helen Lake even if you're not thinking about descending from the top.

Just an FYI: the day I hiked, there were four rangers on the mountain checking permits ($20 self-permit envelope drop at Bunny Flat).