Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Difficult Situation With a Newbie

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Difficult Situation With a Newbie

Postby Scott P » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:45 am

The precise number of 14ers you need to climb to achieve true enlightenment is 47.

Good to know. Do non-Colorado 14ers count as well?
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Postby moneymike » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:45 am

MonGoose wrote:In my opinion, he's either trying to impress some chick on Facebook or he's so insecure, that he's willing to risk his life to feel like he's somebody.

Whoa, whoa! A man is doing something stupid to impress a woman or possibly for pride? No way, I don't believe it! :roll:

Postby I Man » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:46 am

Scott P wrote:
The precise number of 14ers you need to climb to achieve true enlightenment is 47.

No. Def. not. Also, it is imperative that one complete ALL 58 Colorado 14ers before climbing anything in another state, let alone abroad.
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

"I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.

Postby TravelingMatt » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:48 am

Scott P wrote:

They count quadruple, except for White Mountain which only counts double. So you do Whitney (4), Shasta (4), Powell (3), let's say the Partners (6) and 30 Colorado 14ers, you're set.
So pleas'd at first the towering Alps we try,
Mount o'er the vales, and seem to tread the sky,
Th' increasing prospects tire our wand'ring eyes,
Hills peep o'er hills, and Alps on Alps arise!
-- Alexander Pope

Postby geojed » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:54 am

crossfitter wrote:It's not the newbies you need to worry about, it's the people sitting at 30-40 14ers who think they've got it all figured out that get themselves into trouble.

Phew! I've made it to 41! \:D/ Don't need to worry about me! :mrgreen: What, Bross doesn't count? :wft: Dang, I'm still at 40 14ers. :cry:

What about repeats? Do they count in the tally? How about the number of smilies one puts in their posts? They gotta factor in there somewhere!
:yawn: :roll:
Last edited by geojed on Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:58 am, edited 3 times in total.
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
• The best climber in the world is the one who’s having the most fun.— Alex Lowe
• Why do I climb the mountain? Because I'm in love! — The Captain

Postby speth » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:56 am

moneymike wrote:
MonGoose wrote:In my opinion, he's either trying to impress some chick on Facebook or he's so insecure, that he's willing to risk his life to feel like he's somebody.

Whoa, whoa! A man is doing something stupid to impress a woman or possibly for pride? No way, I don't believe it! :roll:

Shows that a thought process does exist - just thinking with the wrong part of the body.
I'll be damned if I feel like I will ever know anything, but if we don't keep moving on that last hill, we'll never know what's on the other side.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The rain and thunder, the wind and haze are bound for better days. My life, my dream. Nothin's gonna stop me now.
[-X What are you insinuating? Do you think I'm Ranger? =; Because if you do than you are dead wrong.
Sarcasm or not, it's not even funny to post something like this. Not at this time. Reported.

Postby Brian C » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:57 am

I Man wrote:No. Def. not. Also, it is imperative that one complete ALL 58 Colorado 14ers before climbing anything in another state, let alone abroad.

Damn! Just when I thought I was getting somewhere...
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth

Postby scalba123 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:03 pm

If you can't get through to him, have the conversation with the women in his life (mother, wife, girlfriend, etc)...

...then get out of their way.

Postby madbuck » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:58 pm

Although this guy's younger, he reminds me of a cousin of mine, which may or may not be accurate, but that's how I picture it. My cousin is insecure and has to figure out a way that he's "better" than anyone that looks at him funny. He's also theoretically awesome at many things he knows he could do if he tried -- he just hasn't taken the time to do it.

Like others said and you already did, mention the objective hazards, and otherwise stay disinterested. The key is not to motivate him by making it sound like a challenge and not to keep public (Facebook) ego-stroking going. He may lose interest if it turns out nobody else is impressed.

Postby Bean » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:05 pm

kbmiller wrote:I recommend you encourage him to go. Might be able to get him removed from the gene pool before he breeds.

Why is this in pink?
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby sunny1 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:26 pm

Personal experience resulting from bad judgment is a powerful educator.
To the OP, good on you for speaking up re: your concerns.

I'd expect as he moves forward with this adventure, his zeal may fizzle out as he comes face to face with the reality of the undertaking (no pun intended).
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.

Postby susanjoypaul » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:55 pm

As a mother of two boys, I can tell you that the more you try to dissuade him, the greater his resolve will grow to prove you wrong. I would encourage him emphatically to follow through with his plans.

In fact, you should involve yourself as much as possible. Start asking him questions, like:

1) How many miles is it up to the lake?
2) How much does your pack weigh with all that camping gear in it?
3) What kind of 4-season tent are you bringing?
4) Is your bag a sub-zero? How cold does it get up there at night?
5) How much fuel are you bringing to melt water?
6) What route are you taking? Is that where all those massive boulders slid earlier this year?
7) What's the avalanche danger like up there right now?

These are valid questions, not scare tactics. And this is Sales 101: You can't make people do something they don't want to do, or make them not do something they want to do. You just have to ask them the right questions to come to the right conclusion - yours.

PreviousNext