Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Where is the SNOW!!!

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Where is the SNOW!!!

Postby Upstate Hiker » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:10 pm

Its been pouring rain at the base of Jackson Hole for days and is raining in town, but its been snowing up high. Not much is open at the resort but my roomies have been killing it up at the pass. I heard Grand Targhee is incredible right now. And, if you look at the radar, its only getting better. If you want snow, move North. All the cool kids are doing it!

Postby Bean » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:06 pm

ballackout wrote:Climate change aside..has anybody been up around Berthoud/Jones/Butler Gulch area recently? I know its probably pretty dry just seeing if there is even enough to go for a mellow tour, really just to stretch the legs...

Don't bother.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby RoanMtnMan » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:38 pm

Bean wrote:
ballackout wrote:Climate change aside..has anybody been up around Berthoud/Jones/Butler Gulch area recently? I know its probably pretty dry just seeing if there is even enough to go for a mellow tour, really just to stretch the legs...

Don't bother.

If one had that terrible itch to get out on skis, it can be done up there right now. But, I am with Bean, not worth it for me. There are other, more rewarding things to be done in the mountains under current conditions. It looked pretty sparse up there today, but still prospects.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Postby USAKeller » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:30 am

I was up in that area yesterday...super dry.
How long after arriving at someone's house is it appropriate to ask for the WiFi password?

Postby ajkagy » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:26 am

it's nice to finally see snow falling out my window this morning, bring it!
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby SKIBREC » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:02 am

2 to 3 inches of some kind of white stuff on the deck in breck.............what is the cold stuff?
Mike & Gail

There's no such thing as bad weather... just the wrong gear

Postby Muskie5280 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:13 am

Latest Daily Snow from Gratzo looks hopeful!

http://opensnow.com/dailysnow/colorado

Postby TCUTED » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:25 am

I know its still far out, and i know this sounds like a broken record at this point, but the past few GFS runs have been consistently showing breakdown of the blocking flow and pretty decent storm hitting CO sometime this coming weekend...

Postby ajkagy » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:29 am

TCUTED wrote:I know its still far out, and i know this sounds like a broken record at this point, but the past few GFS runs have been consistently showing breakdown of the blocking flow and pretty decent storm hitting CO sometime this coming weekend...

a little shot of snow thursday and late Sun/Monday next week looks good on the GFS, still a bit early but hopefully it pans out. The long range is looking a lot better too, NW flow of storms every few days...this is what will count in terms of getting the snowpack back on track.
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby valleygirl » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:31 am

We were surprised by the amount of snow in the Sangres yesterday. We were walking on packed snow in patches clear from the trailhead, then post-holing above the lake up to Comanche pass. But still nothing to ski on!
But I still haven't found what I'm looking for.

Postby Carl » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:28 pm

I've skied in the Jones Pass area a few times in the last 6 weeks. Most recently, eight days ago. As those who haven't been there can easily deduce, it's thin. Drove to treeline. I used half set of chains in case the regular ice had formed on the shelf section about half way up. Doesn't seem that it had. Only pic I have with me now is one I took of my vehicle, but it shows the line I skied. If you're going for a hike anyway, you might as well not walk back to truck.

Postby dehrlich101 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:25 pm

Pretty cool website I found the other day

http://freshymap.com
I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in - Aldo Leopold

Support Colorado Search and Rescue - CORSAR Card

LOJ

PreviousNext