Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Snowshoeing in Summit Co.?

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Postby Eph 2 5 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:19 pm

I know this is going to be a really tall order, but are there any good snowshoeing areas currently in the Summit County area ? Anything in the Gores, near Vail Pass, near Loveland Pass, near Breckenridge? I'm looking for a pretty tame 1-3 mile snowshoe for approx. a week from now. Maybe the Mohawk Lakes area, McCullough Gulch (depending on if the road is closed), or the lower part of the standard route on Quandary? I hiked in the Mosquito Range a week ago and it was really dry, so I realize there might not be any good spots. Views would really be nice, but I'd settle for something in the trees if that's the only option. Thanks a lot for your help.

Re: Snowshoeing in Summit Co.?

Postby pseudoghost » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:29 pm

You might be in luck as we're supposed to get some snow here this week. Otherwise, your best bet would be in the trees on a north-east facing aspect probably in the Gores somewhere, and that's going to be a stretch. I was up by Wheeler Lakes last weekend and there was about 4 inches of snow, in the deepest areas. Absolutely stay away from south facing aspects, as there won't be any snow on them. Bone dry, and that was last weekend.

Postby Scott P » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:30 pm

I'm not sure of the other areas, but Vail Pass area has barely enough snow to snowshoe in the north facing slopes and in the trees above 11,300 feet or so. You will be carrying snowshoes up to that point though.

It may snow tomorrow night as well.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Postby FFLpilot » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:49 pm

Spring Dipper at Keystone?

;)

Postby MuchosPixels » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:36 am

Only slopes with snowmaking have continuous snow all the way through. Everything else has spotty coverage with junk snow to nothing at all. :(

Postby tylermacguire » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:32 pm

When I drove by yesterday, the Mayflower Gulch trail looked snow packed. That being said, I could only see the first 30 feet.

Postby Eph 2 5 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:53 pm

I thought I'd re-post in this thread to see if the snowshoeing conditions have improved in Summit County over the last few days. I'm guessing there's been at least a little accumulation. The forecast seems to call for a decent amount of snow over the weekend. We'd like to snowshoe early next week. Any info. regarding good places to snowshoe, given the current conditions, would be appreciated. Thanks for the previous posts.

Postby BKS » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:43 am

There was very little additional snow the last couple of days. You'll have a hard time finding enough snow for snowshoes. Maybe high in basins above treeline.

Trail to Mt Royal is hardpacked. onto Mt victoria -hardpacked. Victoria to saddle of Peak 1 has some snow deep enough for snowshoeing.