Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Winter Caloric Intake (food that doesn't freeze)

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Winter Caloric Intake (food that doesn't freeze)

Postby wooderson » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:08 pm

Mindy wrote: White and pink frosted animal crackers with sprinkles (I know nothing similar in the organic aisle for these!)

They're not frosted and no sprinkles, but Barbara's brand organic "Snackimals" are the best animal crackers I've ever had. And they come in multiple flavors like peanut butter, chocolate, vanilla, etc.

Another really tasty winter-friendly snack I recently discovered are cocoa-roasted almonds. Even if you're not a huge almond fan, these are so good. Both Blue Diamond and Emerald brands make them.

Re: Organic Pringles options... I wouldn't go there. The artificial, sprayed-on fake flavor, non-organicness is what makes Pringles.... well, Pringles (and I mean that in a good way, of course).

Postby Mindy » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:10 pm

wooderson wrote:

They're not frosted and no sprinkles, but Barbara's brand organic "Snackimals" are the best animal crackers I've ever had. And they come in multiple flavors like peanut butter, chocolate, vanilla, etc.

Another really tasty winter-friendly snack I recently discovered are cocoa-roasted almonds. Even if you're not a huge almond fan, these are so good. Both Blue Diamond and Emerald brands make them.

Re: Organic Pringles options... I wouldn't go there. The artificial, sprayed-on fake flavor, non-organicness is what makes Pringles.... well, Pringles (and I mean that in a good way, of course).

Nice! I didn't think about snackimals! My daughter's favorite. Someone else suggested yogurt covered pretzels as well. Almonds are great for you and I will definitely check out those that you suggest wooderson. Not sure I can go with pringles though; my body might go into shock - lol.

Postby Papillon » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:43 pm

Mindy wrote:Nice! I didn't think about snackimals! My daughter's favorite. Someone else suggested yogurt covered pretzels as well. Almonds are great for you and I will definitely check out those that you suggest wooderson. Not sure I can go with pringles though; my body might go into shock - lol.

Pringles are the 11th Essential, Mindy. Trust me. I'd go so far as to say Fierce Grape Gatorade is #12 but I don't want to get ahead of the game here.

Ultimately, it is of vital importance to carry food you actually want to eat. If you start to bonk, you want to grab something that you can knock down not choke down pretty quick, especially in winter and wintry conditions. I don't tend to take too many breaks when it is cold. I always carry my food on me so I don't have to take the pack off.

"Coconut Dreams" Keebler cookies are another staple. I'd take those over a fistful of M&Ms any day.
The look in his eyes when it hit - Kid, it was tasty... - William Seward Burroughs

Postby Mindy » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:08 pm

Fierce Grape Gatorade - have a place in my pantry just for that!

OK - OK ........ I will admit that I have been known to share a bag of FUNYUNs every few years.... no disrespect to the Pringles or those that live by them :-D .

I get it .......... what I want to eat............ that doesn't freeze and morph into something disgusting or laborious.

It will take some experimenting, but you all have given me some great suggestions and advice, which I appreciate.

Postby Papillon » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:17 pm

Mindy wrote:Fierce Grape Gatorade - have a place in my pantry just for that!

OK - OK ........ I will admit that I have been known to share a bag of FUNYUNs every few years.... no disrespect to the Pringles or those that live by them :-D .

I get it .......... what I want to eat............ that doesn't freeze and morph into something disgusting or laborious.

It will take some experimenting, but you all have given me some great suggestions and advice, which I appreciate.

If the funyuns work, go with them. The pringles or lays stax have that protective sleeve though. I used to carry combos but they were fragile and I'd end up with a bag of combos dust that was kind of nast.
The look in his eyes when it hit - Kid, it was tasty... - William Seward Burroughs

Postby ChrisRoberts » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:17 pm

You know, if youre worried about your liquid drinks freezing, maybe a wine bra would be in order...

Anyone?
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
Read all about my schemes and adventuring at NoCo Chris Latest TR: Laramie-Poudre Tunnel and UN 10060

Postby Papillon » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:08 pm

Fletch wrote:What makes pringles great is the protective sleeve. And the fact that they are orientated vertically. Salt, potatoes, artificial colors and flavors? MMMMMMmmm...

Pringles, salami, provolone, sleeves of cookies, ritz crackers, saltenes, ... they all slide down into and out of the pack very easily. Makes them great --- on top of being bad for you.

One thing I forgot to add. If the weather is nice, I bring tuna instead of summer sausage. There is something decadent about tuna and crackers on top of a winter summit.

Yo Fletch, have you tried any of the seasonal pringle offerings? I saw a cinnamon flavor the other day along with a white chocolate peppermint. Word on the streets of Omaha indicated a pumpkin spice flavor was circulating there. I just couldn't pull the trigger.

I'll stick to a three man rotation - salt n vinegar, sour cream, and ranch.

Postby madbuck » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:27 pm

Fletch wrote:What makes pringles great is the protective sleeve. And the fact that they are orientated vertically. Salt, potatoes, artificial colors and flavors? MMMMMMmmm...

If I'm not mistaken and they haven't changed it, regular (only) Pringles has no artificial colors or flavors. So be sure to get the flavored ones if that's part of your fun!

If I bring something salty, it's usually pretzels or some corn-flax chips from bulk at Sprouts. But if I do stop at a convenience store, it's usually Fritos, with 3 ingredients: corn, oil, salt. Bo-ring!

I'll bring dark chocolate occasionally cuz it tastes good room temp or frozen -- it's chocolate!

Previous