Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Don't you hate it when you thought you completed a list, but

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Don't you hate it when you thought you completed a list,

Postby ChrisRoberts » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:36 pm

Mel McKinney wrote:
sanjuanmtneer wrote:It's not as bad as climbing a mountain that you think you haven't climbed before, only to find your name already on the register!
#-o

And I thought that was why we keep lists! #-o :lol:

Very funny!
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
Read all about my schemes and adventuring at NoCo Chris Latest TR: DeCaLibron

Postby sanjuanmtneer » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:22 pm

No, it hasn't happened to me (yet).
I keep a pretty accurate record, but I've heard of it happening.

BTW when I first started climbing, at 8, I wasn't keeping a list (and didn't have a Dad like Scott, who kept a detailed record) so at about age 23 I studied the quads and what records I had and began my list.
Even at that time however, there wasn't a 'master list' like that of Roach or Martin, only a list of 14ers.
So I just climbed the mountains, whatever the height.
\:D/

Postby TravelingMatt » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:40 pm

If the USGS ever found the resources to measure the exact elevation of every summit over the 12,960 contour and their key cols, I could imagine a couple dozen changes to the 13ers list.
So pleas'd at first the towering Alps we try,
Mount o'er the vales, and seem to tread the sky,
Th' increasing prospects tire our wand'ring eyes,
Hills peep o'er hills, and Alps on Alps arise!
-- Alexander Pope

Postby pseudoghost » Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:20 pm

TravelingMatt wrote:If the USGS ever found the resources to measure the exact elevation of every summit over the 12,960 contour and their key cols, I could imagine a couple dozen changes to the 13ers list.

The reality is that no one really knows the "true" elevation for most peaks, 14ers included. What's really interesting is that the elevations listed on this site, are not the official NGS elevations for most of the 14ers as they were revised in 1993 to reflect a more accurate national vertical datum (most peaks were adjusted by + 7 feet). Most peaks have not been resurveyed since the mid-late 50s, which were updating surveys done in the late 1800s. Who knows what the actual positions would be with newer GPS technology, probably pretty close to today's elevation but might be off by a few feet...

Previous