Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Winter Caloric Intake (food that doesn't freeze)

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Winter Caloric Intake (food that doesn't freeze)

Postby jmc5040 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:25 am

I really love to pack a bunch of applesauce squeezers since you can open them up with gloves on and eat them virtually as your moving. I always have at least one in my pocket anymore. I've had them on hikes in the single digits and they did not freeze, but I would imagine they will if exposed to low temps for long enough.
"My senses become heightened and the stresses of life fade with each step I take further from civilization. When I'm in the wilderness my brain and body work seamlessly together to do their finest work - a single flowing track down one of natures high peaks." - Jeremy Jones

Postby Mindy » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:27 am

Lard/Butter mixed with sugar and Chicharrones.... Thanks! :roll:

I asked about the hot water and pouch because I had thoughts of a small pouch of something, then throwing a tea bag into the rest of hot water quickly for the remainder of the journey..... key being something sm., easy and WARM.

White and pink frosted animal crackers with sprinkles - Yes! I forgot about those - my favorite when I was little. Honey Stinger products are already a staple of mine, but turn hard and unmanagable. Snickers cut up into chuncks with be explored, as well as where I stash my snacks.

Postby ironman11 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:39 am

Alpineair wrote:I've been trying the Honey Stinger products which someone mentioned in another thread or TR, and really like them. The waffle is good, but the peanut butta pro bar is my new favorite.

You should try the original stoopwafel. They are amazing and cheaper than the stinger wafels if you buy the in bulk. I used to love buying these when I was outside the U.S., but now one of the Dutch brands endorses a U.S. Company. www.ilovestroopwafels.com You can also package them however you want. I find the stingers hard to get open with gloves on.

Postby winmag4582001 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:39 am

I've had luck with salted nut rolls. Only cost a dollar at WalMart. Slim Jims also travel well.
"Remember, you're unique, just like everybody else."-Joel Bernardini

Postby Papillon » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:44 am

I buy sticks of margherita pepperoni from Vinnola's in Wheat Ridge and will cut 6-8 pieces and throw it in a bag with 6-8 pieces of Hoffman's super hot habanero cheese.

I store these in my pant pocket. I tend to store much of my food in my pockets. I haven't sleeved it (pringles) in winter yet. Not sure how well those will hold up.
The look in his eyes when it hit - Kid, it was tasty... - William Seward Burroughs

Postby Oman » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:52 am

Ah, Pappy. So that was a pepperoni in your pocket.

Postby Andymcp1 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:08 am

I cant say I agree with the lard/ butter as a great source for energy. When it is that cold out and being at altitude your body dosent digest as efficiently and therefore the super high fat intake just sits like a lump in your stomach. Your body has to divert blood flow and oxygen to your stomach to digest food, so the longer food sits there the less time it goes to your legs and brain. I like foods with fats in them (nuts) ,but when needing energy quick that can be sustained things like gummy bears, snickers, gels, and hot coco are in my opinion the best. The only time a super high fat food is a good idea is right before bed as it will keep you warm through out the night.

Postby smoove » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:29 am

Fletch wrote:Summer sausage, a good cheese, some hot tea, gummy colas, sour cream and onion pringles, a banana, a few gu's, and some scotch. That about does it for me on a winter hike.

The pringles have saved my ass before (kinda like when Marty McFly bounces back near the end of the movie). Will have to try the scotch.

Postby bergsteigen » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:43 am

yorksman wrote:Why don't you just put some type of soup/chili in your thermos?

My BC ski partners do this. It's something I will look into for those type of trips, where you can stop below treeline for a while and eat. Plus it's a good way to get more fluids.

Andymcp1 wrote:I cant say I agree with the lard/ butter as a great source for energy. When it is that cold out and being at altitude your body dosent digest as efficiently and therefore the super high fat intake just sits like a lump in your stomach. Your body has to divert blood flow and oxygen to your stomach to digest food, so the longer food sits there the less time it goes to your legs and brain. I like foods with fats in them (nuts) ,but when needing energy quick that can be sustained things like gummy bears, snickers, gels, and hot coco are in my opinion the best. The only time a super high fat food is a good idea is right before bed as it will keep you warm through out the night.

Being on the Paleo diet, I've read enough books that agree with this. High altitude and fat digestion don't get along all that well. It's a great energy source (it's what I run on), but you kinda have to fat-load before the trip to make it work well. Then while hiking I just eat a bunch of carbs like cookies, shot blocks/candy, dried fruit and some nuts. I'll add the hot gatorade in a thermos to the regimen, as I'm bad about drinking in winter.

Bottom line: Eat whatever you WANT to eat while winter hiking, just eat more of it. Since if you are not eating, you're not staying warm. That was one of the first things I learned in my ski mountaineering course in Alaska. They drilled that into us.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."
- Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)

http://otinasadventures.com

Postby Papillon » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:45 am

smoove wrote:
Fletch wrote:Summer sausage, a good cheese, some hot tea, gummy colas, sour cream and onion pringles, a banana, a few gu's, and some scotch. That about does it for me on a winter hike.

The pringles have saved my ass before (kinda like when Marty McFly bounces back near the end of the movie). Will have to try the scotch.

Good to know those things hold up. My pack is not complete w/o a sleeve. I can't eat the buffalo wing flavor, however. Those taste like a half-cooked squirrel marinated in frank's red hot.

Oman wrote:Ah, Pappy. So that was a pepperoni in your pocket.

Oman, we need to have a pint somewhere and catch up...
The look in his eyes when it hit - Kid, it was tasty... - William Seward Burroughs

Postby Derek » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:55 am

Bean wrote:Snickers freeze hard once they get cold enough, but become extremely brittle and are easy to eat. I always try to take some better food but always end up with a stash of snickers in my pack. I really should convince them to sponsor me. Used one to avert an imminent hard-bonk in a partner yesterday.

In winter, I like to cut my snickers into bite sized pieces. When they freeze later in the day, it makes nice bite size snacks to suck on. I can't remember the last time I went to the mountains without one. Better than any bar type item I've had.
"All dolled up in gabardine..."

Postby Mindy » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:17 pm

Thanks everyone for the input! This weekend I will try out:

PBJ & Hot Tea or Hot Tomatoe Soup
Habanero Cheese Chunks
Sr. Crm. Onion Pringles (or something similar in the organic aisle)
Nuts mixed with ghiradelli chocolate chips and dried cranberries
White and pink frosted animal crackers with sprinkles (I know nothing similar in the organic aisle for these!)
Apple slices

Going to feel like Thanksgiving all over again!

PreviousNext