Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Horizontal Distance vs Hypotenuse Distance

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Horizontal Distance vs Hypotenuse Distance

Postby lodidodi » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:36 pm

Everyone uses distance and elevation gain for their hikes but I'm assuming everybody uses horizontal distances from a map. If you take these two measurements and assume it's a right triangle then you can use pythagoream theorm to calculate your hypotenuse distance.

For example I took the East slope approach for Pikes Peak where the distance is 26 miles with 7,500 ft of elevation gain and the hypotenuse distance was 26.15 miles. It is probably more because I used the elevation gain and if you have losses then the distance would be greater. I know it doesn't matter but that's about an eight of a mile further than you thought you hiked. Yes, I am bored at work by the way, now do I add or subtract the the curvature of the earth?

Re: Horizontal Distance vs Hypotenuse Distance

Postby Voodoo302 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:14 pm

You'd need the ellipsoid of the Earth because if it were a perfect sphere you'd have no terrain and therefore no elevation gain so it'd be moot...as for the additional distance I guess you'd compare diameter X pi X (distance in degrees/360) to the map distance. Buuuut I have a feeling this is going to be FAR less than the hypotenuse adds.

However I think many of the stated trail lengths are already measured and given as distance on the ground.

Postby GregMiller » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:28 pm

Something to consider, if you're assuming that the distances given are on a flat earth - how do you account for different slopes? While some trails may be fairly consistent class 1 throughout their length, others are long easy approaches followed by near vertical class 4.
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes

Postby ChrisRoberts » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:16 pm

Voodoo302 wrote: Buuuut I have a feeling this is going to be FAR less than the hypotenuse adds.

Considering we have 26 miles from TH to summit on the horizontal plane, my sloppy math gives around 26.000036 miles. A better estimate would probably be around 26.00005 mi

Can anyone say "dee theta"?
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
Read all about my schemes and adventuring at NoCo Chris Latest TR: Ramsay, Sugarloaf and Skull

Postby GerryRigged » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:32 pm

Now if you are measuring the distance with a GPS you whould get very very close to actual ground/slope distance since a GPS measures the distance between two points every few seconds. Since most people don't walk more than say two miles per hour the distance between two points witha GPS will be very short. So even tough the distance might be a horizontal disitance it's a short one. By adding all the very short distances together you will end up with a very accurate ground/slope distance. :-D

Postby Jim Davies » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:58 pm

Unfortunately for your calculations, Barr Trail isn't quite 26 miles r/t, but only 25.6 or so (depending on who you ask). The marathon starts and ends at Soda Springs Park (which is about a mile down the road from the Barr TH), and straightens out the first part of the trail by using an alternate route.

GPS measurements could take 3-D distance into account, but they're fundamentally off anyway; they tend to cut switchbacks, in that the periodic samples will interpolate straight lines onto curving trails.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby MountainHiker » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:38 pm

Jim Davies wrote:GPS measurements could take 3-D distance into account, but they're fundamentally off anyway; they tend to cut switchbacks, in that the periodic samples will interpolate straight lines onto curving trails.
I walk off the end of switchbacks to pee, so I would have to add distance!
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Postby Bean » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:40 am

Jim Davies wrote:GPS measurements could take 3-D distance into account, but they're fundamentally off anyway; they tend to cut switchbacks, in that the periodic samples will interpolate straight lines onto curving trails.

A number of units have a 1-second sampling option, and are repeatable within .25% over the same course in my experience.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby crossfitter » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:09 am

The curvature of the earth is completely insignificant at those scales. The difference between walking 26 miles along the surface of the earth and burrowing straight through the ground is just under 3 inches (on level ground, treating the earth as a sphere).
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack

Postby Patinator » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:31 pm

Have you ever used the parallax method? It is pretty good if you now the approximate size of the object in the distance.

Postby tlongpine » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:56 pm

"Everyone uses distance and elevation gain for their hikes but I'm assuming everybody uses horizontal distances from a map."

Why are you making that assumption?
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.

Postby ChrisRoberts » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:42 pm

Thats the assumption I've always made.
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
Read all about my schemes and adventuring at NoCo Chris Latest TR: Ramsay, Sugarloaf and Skull

Next