LONGS PEAK

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Stevo68
14ers: 6 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

LONGS PEAK

Post by Stevo68 »

anyone have pictures of storm and the north face of longs. Most recent please!
Ride to Live....Live to Ride
mtngoat
14ers: 21 
Trip Reports (2)

Re: LONGS PEAK

Post by mtngoat »

I'm headed that direction tomorrow. I'll post up what I can grab. I will be across valley to the east (Twin Sisters) for a short hike so I may be limited by my P&S zoom and might not get great shots of the north face unless I change destination to Estes Cone which may give better angles.
-Dave

If your life's work can be completed within your lifetime - you are not thinking big enough.
USAKeller
14ers: 58  24  24 
13ers: 169 3 7
Trip Reports (46)

Post by USAKeller »

No pics but I saw Longs very well on my ride the other day - it looked pretty dry. Hopefully someone will post some good photos.
nomad
Trip Reports (1)

Post by nomad »

I was up there today around Mills Moraine with my wife, very dry.
Attachments
longs.jpg
longs.jpg (292.13 KiB) Viewed 2327 times
" The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war"
Recon 1st inf. Div.
nomad
Trip Reports (1)

Post by nomad »

I know it's not the face your looking for but it is dry everywhere. Bear lake had 3.5 inches.
" The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war"
Recon 1st inf. Div.
mtngoat
14ers: 21 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by mtngoat »

Those are better shot than I was able to get. Pretty dry. Microspikes at best in some drifted spots.
-Dave

If your life's work can be completed within your lifetime - you are not thinking big enough.
ChrisRoberts
14ers: 12 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ChrisRoberts »

I know it's not very good, but there is a webcam looking towards the north face
http://www.nps.gov/common/commonspot/cu ... 5C7&846427
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
NoCoChris: Now with less Colorado!
Carl
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Carl »

Anyone got any recent shots of the trail between the Keyhole and the top, or been up that way recently? I assume it's manageable in trail runners? Anna's pics are pretty telling of the approach and I don't recall any snow since then. Thanks.
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

Carl wrote:Anyone got any recent shots of the trail between the Keyhole and the top, or been up that way recently? I assume it's manageable in trail runners? Anna's pics are pretty telling of the approach and I don't recall any snow since then. Thanks.
Spent a couple days in Glacier Gorge last week. The back side of Longs was very dry with only a little snow in the trough. Doesn't really help for conditions, but I'd be willing to bet trail runners and micro's would be more than sufficient.

I might have some decent pictures at home, so I'll look and repost later if so.
Make wilderness less accessible.
Carl
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Carl »

Dave B wrote:Spent a couple days in Glacier Gorge last week. The back side of Longs was very dry with only a little snow in the trough. Doesn't really help for conditions, but I'd be willing to bet trail runners and micro's would be more than sufficient.

I might have some decent pictures at home, so I'll look and repost later if so.
Thanks Dave. That's all I needed to hear to talk me into trail runners. Might try to find a pair of micro spikes to borrow. Got a pair of Yaktrax Walkers recently and they literally lasted less then 2 hours on Bierstadt before snapping.
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

Sorry, I thought I had something better than this, but you can still tell the trough is pretty dry. Not very good beta on the ledges though...

Carl wrote:Might try to find a pair of micro spikes to borrow. Got a pair of Yaktrax Walkers recently and they literally lasted less then 2 hours on Bierstadt before snapping.
Microspikes might be the best $60 I've spent. I wore them both times into GG last week where the trail was probably only 60% snow/ice covered. They're pretty tough and come with a two-year warranty.

Good luck!
Make wilderness less accessible.
Kiefer
14ers: 58  39 
13ers: 317 24
Trip Reports (18)

Post by Kiefer »

Not the west side, but if Meeker is indication of what Longs looks like, yah...tennis would work great!
Have a good time, Carl. Thanks for the seats BTW at Viesturs! 8)

Meeker/Tahosa Valley (Taken today 11.29.12)