Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Sawatch 13ers French & Casco on Saturday 12/1

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Sawatch 13ers French & Casco on Saturday 12/1

Postby Brian Thomas » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:14 pm

Any interest in these? Am thinking of going for French / Frasco Benchmark / Casco combination on Saturday 12/1, we easily drove to the North Halfmoon Creek TH last Saturday with little snow or ice on the road up there to get Oklahoma. Also want to go for Hope via East Ridge from Sheep Gulch TH on Sunday 12/2. Please post or PM if interested.

*EDIT* no one has expressed interest in Mt Hope so I may hike that or something else this Sunday, but the plan remains for French and Casco on Saturday.
Last edited by Brian Thomas on Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them" - Bob Dylan

Re: Sawatch 13ers French, Casco, Hope this weekend

Postby Mindy » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:24 pm

Sounds like a fun weekend Brian! May join you for Hope Sunday, if I don't go for Shav/Tab (and weather of course). Wish I could do both days (and check out the famous/infamous Leadville Hostile), but have a big ‘event’ Friday night.

EDIT: consider posting up on CO Scramblers

Postby bergsteigen » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:39 pm

I could be interested in Sat.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."
- Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)

http://otinasadventures.com

Postby mrickers » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:47 pm

I'm interested in the Saturday trio.

Postby RyGuy » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:14 pm

Hey Brian,

I'm certainly interested! What is the proposed route? Distance? Vertical gain?

-Ryan
"Climbing mountains is the only thing I know that combines the best of the physical, spiritual, and emotional world all rolled into one." -Steve Gladbach

Postby Brian Thomas » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:29 pm

ACERyGuy007 wrote:What is the proposed route? Distance? Vertical gain?

Per the Roach guide the French / Frasco Benchmark / Casco combo is 11.7 miles and 4,600' gain. Hope is 7.2 miles and 4,100' of gain.

After the excellent conditions on Oklahoma last Saturday and zero precipitation in the forecast for this week, it looks like a great weekend to go for these. May be windy and cold, but great hiking conditions for late fall. Also posted these on the CO Scramblers meetup.com page.
Last edited by Brian Thomas on Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them" - Bob Dylan

Postby RyGuy » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:01 pm

Brian Thomas wrote:
ACERyGuy007 wrote:What is the proposed route? Distance? Vertical gain?

Per the Roach guide the French / Frasco Benchmark / Casco combo is 11.7 miles and 4,600' gain. You will need a 4WD/AWD vehicle to reach the TH. Hope is 7.2 miles and 4,100' of gain but should be accessible with 2WD. I would like to start at 7am for each.

After the excellent conditions on Oklahoma last Saturday and zero precipitation in the forecast for this week, it looks like a great weekend to go for these. May be windy and cold, but great hiking conditions for late fall. Also posted these on the CO Scramblers meetup.com page.

Yeah. Was thinking the same thing when I saw your post. I'm totally down for this. I assume we'd just meet at the Elbert TH and carpool up in the 4WD vehicles to the Massive SW trailhead like we did last Saturday?

-Ryan
"Climbing mountains is the only thing I know that combines the best of the physical, spiritual, and emotional world all rolled into one." -Steve Gladbach

Postby I Man » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:07 pm

Use a car shuttle and add Lackawanna for a great day out!

Postby geojed » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:16 pm

I'll be sure to wave at you guys from across the way on my Hope to Rinker Traverse on Saturday! 8)
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
• The best climber in the world is the one who’s having the most fun.— Alex Lowe
• Why do I climb the mountain? Because I'm in love! — The Captain

Postby Brian Thomas » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:54 pm

ACERyGuy007 wrote:I assume we'd just meet at the Elbert TH and carpool up in the 4WD vehicles to the Massive SW trailhead like we did last Saturday?

Let's aim to meet at the North Elbert TH at 6:30 and start hiking at 7:00. My CR-V should make it to the North Halfmoon Creek TH if we need 2 vehicles.

Postby RyGuy » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:04 pm

Brian Thomas wrote:
ACERyGuy007 wrote:I assume we'd just meet at the Elbert TH and carpool up in the 4WD vehicles to the Massive SW trailhead like we did last Saturday?

Let's aim to meet at the North Elbert TH at 6:30 and start hiking at 7:00. My CR-V should make it to the North Halfmoon Creek TH if we need 2 vehicles.

This will totally be deja vu, but I'll all for it.

Brian- I will likely be at the North Elbert TH by about 10PM and am going to car camp it again. Looking forward to another great climb!

-Ryan

Postby bstine » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:57 am

I would like to join for Saturday, and if anybody is leaving on Saturday and wants to carpool let me know.

Next