Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Lodging in Lake City, CO

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Lodging in Lake City, CO

Postby DenneyR » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:27 am

I will be staying in Lake City as part of my 2 week hiking vacation in Colorado.

Does anyone have any info on North Face Lodge?

I originally wanted a cabin, but they are a bit pricey at around $145 a night.
North Face Lodge has what appear to be nice rooms for $90-$100
their website says they are new owners of of May, 2012

any other suggestions are welcome

Thanks in advance

Re: Lodging in Lake City, CO

Postby DaveSwink » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:44 am

When is your vacation? Elkhorn RV http://www.elkhornrvresort.com/ has very nice cabins with a community bath/shower for very inexpensive prices, but their season is May 1 to October 1.

Postby DenneyR » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:46 am

dswink wrote:When is your vacation? Elkhorn RV http://www.elkhornrvresort.com/ has very nice cabins with a community bath/shower for very inexpensive prices, but their season is May 1 to October 1.

I'll be in Lake City July 17th -20th.

I looked at Elk Horn, but didn't really want the community shower

Postby scott goldberg » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:35 am

Stayed at the North Face last August. It used to be part of another motel right next door, but the new owners purchased and completely renovated a strip of rooms into the new North Face. Each room has it's own motif, i think ours was fishing...the rooms have a deck that overlooks the town, good place to sit back and relax. The drawback is they are located right on the road, but surprisingly the room was quiet.

The owner is nice, the rooms were clean, and the price was right. No complaints!

I've also stayed at the Matterhorn Motel; really nice place located way off the highway so it was very quiet, and within walking distance of everything. The Matterhorn would be my first choice, just because of location.

Having moved to Colorado 34 years ago from Wisconsin, it was a great surprise to find a Green Bay Packer Bar in the middle of the San Juans!

Postby fleetmack » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:22 pm

DenneyR wrote:
I looked at Elk Horn, but didn't really want the community shower

It's not "community shower" like a gym, where it's one big open room with several shower heads, and the 50+ year old men walk around buck naked as long as possible with towels around their necks instead of lower halves.

Each actual shower is private, with curtains (maybe doors, don't remember) and such, they are just in a common "shower/locker-room" type area.
"Cynicism and ill-humored opinion have built a stronghold called the message board. Sweet mother of God, see a f***ing shrink, people."
--Corey Taylor

Postby pills2619 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:26 pm

Wait idk about Green Bay Packers.... I was very exhausted(Uncomp and Handies on Sat and Redcloud, Sunshine the next) but I'm pretty sure it was just the Packer Saloon and it was named after a guy who had supposedly shot and then eaten his group after having been stranded during a harsh winter. This is still broncos country so keep that cheese head in the fridge \:D/ I could be wrong tho. ](*,)
They forget that some crisis is necessary to hone skill. "Near misses," those brief encounters with the reality of mortality, are great learning tools if properly approached. -Denali Climbers Guidebook

Postby mollykay » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:01 pm

I stayed at G&M cabins recently and thought they were great. Great location across street from Lake City Cafe and around the corner from Restless Spirits Saloon (best pizza I have had in Colorado). I think they have cabins for under $100 if you don't want one of the renovated ones.

Postby ekviatnie » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:10 pm

I stayed in the Town Square cabinsfor $80/night. Great owner, warm in middle of October, and recently updated.

Postby Mark A Steiner » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:22 pm

pills2619 wrote:Wait idk about Green Bay Packers.... I was very exhausted(Uncomp and Handies on Sat and Redcloud, Sunshine the next) but I'm pretty sure it was just the Packer Saloon and it was named after a guy who had supposedly shot and then eaten his group after having been stranded during a harsh winter. This is still broncos country so keep that cheese head in the fridge \:D/ I could be wrong tho. ](*,)

You bet. Anything in Lake City with a Packer next to it is almost assuredly in remembrance of the Colorado Cannibal, Alferd Packer. The massacre site a few miles south of LC on Colorado 149. The crime he committed in 1874 was the worst in Colorado history between then and Columbine. The locals can provide all the details.
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Good day.

Postby DenneyR » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:42 pm

Thanks everyone, a lot of good recommendations.

I'm looking forward to next summer

Postby scott goldberg » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:16 am

I beg to differ, as it is definitely a GB Packer bar...I believe it is owned by a lady originally from LaCrosse, Wisconsin, and it is adorned with Green Bay Packer memorabilia inside.

It does make a connection with Alferd Packer, who is depicted wearing a Brett #4 jersey out front.

Lake City is one of my favorite places, and I've enjoyed all of my trips there...

Postby MechE » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:23 am

My wife and I stayed at the Alpine Village in July of 2012. The owner was real nice to us.

Next