Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

333 skis

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

333 skis

Postby ironman11 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:19 am

So I am contemplating getting a set of 333 skis. From what I can find online, they were really poor quality when they first got started. Does anyone here have any experiences with 333 skis?

Re: 333 skis

Postby lordhelmut » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:42 am

try and PM Ahudge. Last time I spoke with him, he was getting ready to drive out to that caravan in the Sierras and learn how to customize his own skis. Not sure if he's gotten out on them, but that might be a good place to start.

Postby mtnfiend » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:07 am

lordhelmut wrote:try and PM Ahudge. Last time I spoke with him, he was getting ready to drive out to that caravan in the Sierras and learn how to customize his own skis. Not sure if he's gotten out on them, but that might be a good place to start.

And/or edorvs. I'm not sure if he and his wife have skied them yet either.

When I looked at'em they didn't look as bad as all the negative feed back they initially received.
Didn't I ever tell you.....Bumble's bounce!!!

Postby RoanMtnMan » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:32 pm

I had a friend send 333 money a couple of years ago for a set of skis, only to get his money sent back to him 8 months later with no skis. At least they sent the money back I guess.

For $350 you can do a lot better on EBay, ski swap, TGR, or craigslist. Like anything else, the more time the better the deal. My wife and I have an embarrassing number of skis, none of which we have ever paid more than $350 for. If one wants to learn how to make custom skis why drive to the Sierras? Unless it is just an excuse to go ski the Sierras, which is understandable. It would be a lot more educational and closer to home to go see the guys at Folsom, now that is a custom ski worth the money.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Postby lordhelmut » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:38 pm

RoanMtnMan wrote:I had a friend send 333 money a couple of years ago for a set of skis, only to get his money sent back to him 8 months later with no skis. At least they sent the money back I guess.

For $350 you can do a lot better on EBay, ski swap, TGR, or craigslist. Like anything else, the more time the better the deal. My wife and I have an embarrassing number of skis, none of which we have ever paid more than $350 for. If one wants to learn how to make custom skis why drive to the Sierras? Unless it is just an excuse to go ski the Sierras, which is understandable. It would be a lot more educational and closer to home to go see the guys at Folsom, now that is a custom ski worth the money.

Yeah, I guess I should've clarified, AHudge lives in CA. But I agree re: Folsom.

Postby RoanMtnMan » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:43 pm

lordhelmut wrote:Yeah, I guess I should've clarified, AHudge lives in CA. But I agree re: Folsom.

Ah, makes sense then.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

Postby RoanMtnMan » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:44 pm

One more, perhaps more constructive, thought I had. I have a good friend who is a partial owner of a well known ski company. He has been there from the start when they were basically running it out of a garage. We have had numerous conversations about the process, as recently as last month, and I always come away with the same learning, the expense is in the quality of materials. They only paid $1500 for their first ski press. They have very little overhead at their company, but based on what he has told me, they would go broke if they sold their quality of ski at retail for $350. However, they could sell you a couple of 180cm 2x4's for around $30.