Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Thruhike of the 14ers

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Thruhike of the 14ers

Postby unclegar » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:12 pm

Keep us posted as the time approaches. I'd be interested in how it goes and wish you the best. That would be an awesome experience. Brilliant idea!
...the mountain peaks belong to Him. -- PS 95:4

“All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.”
― Charles M. Schulz

Postby NickJ » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:09 am

This actually is a pretty clever idea. It just seems to me that people are always trying to come up with something to draw attention to themselves in the age of internet. For example, sleeping on the summit of every 14er (kind of silly IMO), or skiing every 14er, or summiting every 14er solo in winter, etc. This "thruhike" idea is not bad as these ideas go. What would be far more interesting, however, would be if a few others took the challenge. We could have a race of 14er "thruhikers." Heck, I'd even maybe stand by the road somewhere and cheer them on as they walk by. (just kidding - I wouldn't) Kind of like the tour de france on foot, but much slower and with fewer drugs (presumably). Thruhike de Colorado

Postby Kovar » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:18 am

forbins_mtn wrote:we're debating the use of the word "epic"? ha! it blows my mind how rigid some the people on this site are. you guys are hilarious and seriously need to get laid.

I second the "get laid" comment.

Postby SchralpTheGnar » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:11 pm

"Hey, hey, hey, smoke weed every day" Ghandi

Postby iceman » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:37 am

I was thinking about this idea a month or so ago. My schedule wouldn't allow it in a single push, but I thought it would be a great way to see Colorado and an EPIC trip. Good luck and be safe.

Postby DaveSwink » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:56 am

iceman wrote:I was thinking about this idea a month or so ago. My schedule wouldn't allow it in a single push, but I thought it would be a great way to see Colorado and an EPIC trip. Good luck and be safe.

Caps and underlining just doesn't cut it. We need a smilie that provides lightning bolts around the word "EPIC"!

Postby iceman » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:23 am

Caps and underlining just doesn't cut it. We need a smilie that provides lightning bolts around the word "EPIC"!

I agree dswink. How about this?
I was thinking about this :shock: EPIC :shock: idea a month or so ago. My :shock: EPIC :shock: schedule wouldn't allow it in a single :shock: EPIC :shock: push, but I thought it would be an :shock: EPIC :shock: way to see Colorado and an :shock: EPIC :shock: trip. Good luck and be safe on your :shock: EPIC :shock: journey.

Wouldn't it be great if folks ignored posts that they didn't have something positive to say or constructive to add?

Postby pbakwin » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:45 pm

In 2009 Bart Miller did all the "free" 14ers (I think he skipped Culebra) self-powered and self-supported. He biked to the trail heads, and, unlike Hamilton, did not have a support team.
http://www.estesparknews.com/?p=8175

Postby Gene913 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:17 pm

jdorje wrote:I too question why you'd backtrack for holy cross. But I don't know where all the good trails are.

I was admiring the grace and directness of the route you outlined until I noticed something. Is the omission of Pikes intentional, accidental or just a product of "not knowing where all the good trails are?" :lol:
"If you have faith like a grain of mustard seed, and you say to this mountain, 'move from here to there,' it will move, and nothing will be impossible for you." Matthew 17:21

Postby justiner » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:40 am

Holy Cripes, Chapeau Bart Miller!

I'm planning on doing something similar (self-support, human-powered, "race", no outside support), I'd love to pick this guy's brain.

His time of 7 weeks is phenomenal. I was guesstimating it would take me ~60 days to do such a feet - and I wager that I'm a hell of a lot stronger cyclist than Mr. Miller describes himself, and I've got the entire winter to "learn" how to run.

I was going to ask the OP where they figured out their estimation on the #days it would take them - it seemed REALLY low for such a walkabout. The FKT for the Colorado Trail is around 9 days, which is absolutely mind-blowingly crazy. I belive they went at it completely unsupported, bringing all the food they needed for the trip with them from the start. Certainly cuts down on resupply downtime whilst on the track.

So OP, again, I think your plan is great and I'm following your blog. Good luck!
The Long Ranger | STRAVA

"Any effort that has self-glorification as its final endpoint is bound to end in disaster" - Pirsig

Postby jdorje » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:51 am

Gene913 wrote:I was admiring the grace and directness of the route you outlined until I noticed something. Is the omission of Pikes intentional, accidental or just a product of "not knowing where all the good trails are?" :lol:

You can save so much time by leaving it out!
-Jason Dorje Short

Postby John Prater » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:37 pm

jdawud wrote:Andrew Hamilton's human powered record was the closest analog I could find

I don't know if anyone has ever gotten more info on this (source). Edit: Sorry, I see that you'd previously brought this up here.
In the summer of 1985... Even more obscure (unknown to me until today) is the tour of the 14ers by Mike Whitehurst and two companions *on foot*.

Justin, a few other 14er tours by bike:
Glen and Pete Dunmire, 1985 (source)
Roy Benton, 1995 (source)
Nick Ehrhardt and David Paquette, 2005 (article, article, article)

PreviousNext