Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Mt. Evans Ascent Sat, June 15, 2013

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Mt. Evans Ascent Sat, June 15, 2013

Postby dehrlich101 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:30 pm

Reminder for tomorrow 11/23!!!

Black Friday $55 registration for the Mount Evans Ascent, just enter the coupon code "BLACK" at checkout.

Remember that the $55 registration is good for tomorrow only! Have a Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

http://www.racingunderground.com/mtevans/
I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in - Aldo Leopold

Support Colorado Search and Rescue - CORSAR Card

LOJ

Postby DaveSwink » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:48 am

I am registered! Thanks for the discount tip, Daniel.

Postby dumbsocrates » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:17 am

Does anyone know the status of the byway? I've got parents in town and would like to drive up there. How far up can we get? Can we get all the way up to Summit Lake?

Postby rijaca » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:36 pm

dumbsocrates wrote:Does anyone know the status of the byway? I've got parents in town and would like to drive up there. How far up can we get? Can we get all the way up to Summit Lake?

Closed at Echo Lake.
"Spent a little time on the mountain
Spent a little time on the hill"

Postby dumbsocrates » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:16 pm

Thanks much.

Postby griddles » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:13 pm

So how did everyone do?
My dad, from Iowa, finished at about his full marathon time about 3:52. He did it with 2 days of acclimatization. Did Grays on Thursday and his boots lost their rubber soles at the top. He then ran 14 miles on Friday, 7 up and 7 down Guanella pass. I did very little preparing as my knee starting acting up about 2 weeks before. I 'ran' the first 4 miles then had to walk the rest. I finished at 4:03.
Both just happy to have finished.

Postby DaveSwink » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:47 pm

griddles wrote:So how did everyone do? My dad, from Iowa, finished at about his full marathon time about 3:52. He did it with 2 days of acclimatization. Did Grays on Thursday and his boots lost their rubber soles at the top. He then ran 14 miles on Friday, 7 up and 7 down Guanella pass.

Very impressive showing for your dad, especially with so little acclimatization!

griddles wrote:I did very little preparing as my knee starting acting up about 2 weeks before. I 'ran' the first 4 miles then had to walk the rest. I finished at 4:03. Both just happy to have finished.

My experience was similar to yours. I have been struggling to recover from runner's knee since last August and have finally been making some progress in the last two months with the help of a great therapist. Almost all of my training for the race was cycling and hiking so it was hard to maintain a running pace this year but I was pleased to find that my hiking pace was significantly faster. Combining faster hiking with better acclimatization this year allowed me to finish just 5 minutes slower at 4:07 even though I only ran about 5 miles out of 14 total, compared to the 9 1/2 miles I ran last year.

One small, funny experience; I was zoning out while chugging uphill at about mile 12 when a downhill-bound van stopped beside me and most of the occupants shouted "hi Dave!", startling me completely. They were prompted by 14er.com member LynnKH who was riding in the van. Thanks for the boost, Lynn. :-D

Griddles, we probably rode down in the same van! 14er.com member Smoove was in the van too. :-D He was looking pretty fresh for just completing 14 miles of climbing.

I am really looking forward to testing my knee further in the up and downhills of the Leadville Heavy Half in a couple of weeks. I am completely happy just to be running and finishing again after a long, dreary layoff.

Previous