Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Sat Hike?

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Re: Sat Hike?

Postby forbins_mtn » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:47 pm

I'd be up for Antero, Oklahoma or I was looking at Ouray this morning in Roach's book. I'm driving a honda accord. anyone have a 4wd to make it up farther on some of these THs?

Postby SilverLynx » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:54 pm

14erAddict wrote:Looks like I'm doing Castle/Conundrum. If anyone wants to join, PM me :)

I am interested in these but I haven't planned it all out yet so I'm not sure if I can go at this point. Were you planning on a Friday drive over there and a Saturday hike? Any idea what conditions are like? Weather looks good.
"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."
~Nelson Mandela

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition."
~Steve Jobs

Postby zerosignal28 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:38 pm

I have a 4runner, or a Subaru STi if you wanna get there faster!

Postby denvermikey » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:43 pm

Brian Thomas wrote:The globreal (Britt) and myself are considering going for Sawatch centennial 13er Oklahoma on Saturday 11/24.

Would you guys mind a pokey tagalong again? Enjoyed our last outing and Oklahoma is on my list as well. Also, my truck may be able to get us a bit further up the road.

-Mike
"Every man dies, not every man really lives" - William Wallace
"Because it's there" - George Mallory
"In the end it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years" - Abraham Lincoln
"You only live once but if you do it right, once is enough" - Mae West
"Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world." - Unknown

Postby RyGuy » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:27 am

denvermikey wrote:
Brian Thomas wrote:The globreal (Britt) and myself are considering going for Sawatch centennial 13er Oklahoma on Saturday 11/24.

Would you guys mind a pokey tagalong again? Enjoyed our last outing and Oklahoma is on my list as well. Also, my truck may be able to get us a bit further up the road.

-Mike

Heya Mike!

Certainly. I am going up Friday night to car camp at the trailhead for Mount Elbert. We are meeting up there at 6:30AM, and then driving up to the SW Massive trailhead. Should be fun getting another centennial, and that valley is just gorgeous.

-Ryan
"Climbing mountains is the only thing I know that combines the best of the physical, spiritual, and emotional world all rolled into one." -Steve Gladbach

Postby Brian Thomas » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:15 am

Ryan and Mike-

Britt is aiming for a 7am meet time, he will be coming in a 2WD vehicle. Can we agree on a 2WD accessible meetup location like the Mt Massive TH:

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/trailheads2.php?thparm=sw04

Conditions update as of 11/21:

"Washboard road has little to no snow and TH is snow-free."
"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them" - Bob Dylan

Postby denvermikey » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:32 am

Sounds great. I will plan on being at the Mt Massive TH (N Halfmoon Creek) at 7. We can pile into my truck to drive the extra 0.5 mi.

Pretty excited... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INOeZnfUuIY

-Mike
"Every man dies, not every man really lives" - William Wallace
"Because it's there" - George Mallory
"In the end it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years" - Abraham Lincoln
"You only live once but if you do it right, once is enough" - Mae West
"Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world." - Unknown

Postby sevenvii » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:12 am

I would be interested in Oklahoma as well if there is still room, or I might plop down to Wesrcliffe area?

Postby Brian Thomas » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:23 am

sevenvii wrote:I would be interested in Oklahoma as well if there is still room

We should have at least two vehicles with 4WD/AWD to caravan to the upper TH if needed. As of now it's myself, Britt + 1, Ryan, Mike going for Oklahoma.
"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them" - Bob Dylan

Postby fepic1 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:30 am

Hey you all:) Just spoke with Britt . I will drive to the TH late tonight and be ready for an Alpine start.
I have a shiny white 4x4 PU We can pile into for the last bit to the upper TH
I can't wait !
John

Postby globreal » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:13 pm

For the Oklahoma climb tomorrow (Saturday, Nov. 24) let's clarify a few things:

Several people are camping tonight at the North Elbert TH. This is the parking lot on your left/south side of Halfmoon Creek Rd/CO 11, and is approximately 7.5 to 8 miles after you turn off of Hwy 24. Those who I've been told are camping here is: ACERyGuy007, Brian Thomas, fepic1.

Me & queza plan to meet those camping at this location in the morning at 6:30am where we can all pile into the capable 4x4's. NOTE: I believe there was a post saying to meet at the Mt. Massive TH which is on the right/north side of the road. Instead, let's all meet at the North Elbert TH on the left/south side.

At 6:30am, we will then drive up to the N. Halfmoon Creek TH which is the same parking area for climbing Mt. Massive's Southwest slopes. This is a little over 10 miles after turning off of Hwy 24 and is at 10,500 feet.

The aim is for a 7am hiking time, heading north up the North Halfmoon Creek drainage for Oklahoma.

It looks like there could be a half dozen of us or more. Should be quite the social gathering! See you in the morning.
Last edited by globreal on Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die."
~John 11:25

Postby RyGuy » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:20 pm

Hey Fepic,

Sounds good. I will probably get to the Mount Elbert trailhead parking lot around 8:30PM-9PM or so tonight in my 2002 Grey Jeep Grand Cherokee. Just going to car camp it.

Should be a stellar day, and great group. I am planning to bring my MSR reactor stove to the summit as usual, so if you bring something that just needs hot water, it makes for a great summit lunch/drink. (I usually bring a Mountain house and some good strong English tea)

It sounds like Britt is aiming for a 6:30AM time after chatting with him last night, although Brian said 7:00AM above. I am going to aim to be ready by 6:30 though.

Either way, we are meeting at Mount Elbert trailhead and then taking the 4WD cars up to the SW Massive trailhead to start.

Looking forward to it!

-Ryan
"Climbing mountains is the only thing I know that combines the best of the physical, spiritual, and emotional world all rolled into one." -Steve Gladbach

PreviousNext