Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

GPS Garmin Topo vs Above The Timber?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

GPS Garmin Topo vs Above The Timber?

Postby 14kHKR » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:18 am

New to GPS. My unit is a GPSMAP 62s. Is there a reason to chose one DVD over the other for use in Colorado and Utah? Primary use will be in the West Elk and Ragged Wildness areas and the Utah canyon country.

Re: GPS Garmin Topo vs Above The Timber?

Postby FFLpilot » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:37 am

Not sure about your specific products, but I started here:

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/state/co

and never found a reason to pay for Garmin's over-priced offerings. I think I ended up using this:

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/197/

Happy with it, no complaints, and the site has maps from all over that you can load as needed.

Postby taylorbm » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:18 am

I use the 62s and have gotten all my maps from gpsfiledepot. I've used the maps for CO and UT quite a bit. The maps are good. The only difference I know of between those and the Garmin maps are that the Garmin maps are shade reliefed to make them look pretty. Ultimately they are all based off the USGS topo maps (I believe) so the data is all the same.
--
Brandon

Postby colokeith » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:17 pm

I replaced an old version of GPS topo with the above the timber maps.

I have been quite happy. the main difference is that the above the timber maps contain many more trails (and more accurate trails)

I find the map shading to be easier to read on my CSX60 device as well.
To climb is to push yourself in a way you might not normally imagine is possible. If your stamina, skill, and luck are sound you will get to stand on top. ... I realized that with climbing, I'd found something that nourished my soul and could forge me into a better version myself - Jim Davidson

Postby taylorbm » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:43 pm

That's a good point. The topo maps from filedepot don't have many trails, etc. included in the topo map itself. You'd have to download a separate trails pack which would overlay the topo maps on your device.
--
Brandon

Postby 14kHKR » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:51 am

Thanks for taking the time to post your helpful comments. I am leaning toward Above the Timber as I am so new to this and need a simple start to working with the map programs and the downloads as well as the GPS unit.

Happy Holiday to all ...

Postby Yoric » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:08 am

It takes some work and time to get it right (if you have no idea what you're doing like me), but by combining topo and trail maps from gpsfiledepot, you get the same thing for free.

On the other hand, if you have the money to throw at it, then by all means go for it.

Postby Steve Knapp » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:51 pm

+1 on Above the Timber. With as many peaks as I do it helps to have the best maps available. Trails are there, roads are included and usually labeled, and the land status is colored which is really handy. I've used the free maps too and they are mostly OK, but I like what Roger has put into his ATT maps. Combine these maps with the LoJ POI files and life is good.