Princeton conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
eskermo
14ers: 58  2  1 
13ers: 316 30 4
Trip Reports (18)

Re: Princeton conditions

Post by eskermo »

KSU Wildcat wrote:For the 1st time ever - I can help!! Today (Thursday), I hiked from the trailhead to just above the radio towers. There was patchy snow in places. At most 3" of snow, where there was snow. There were a couple of places where there was ice from melt, so you'll have to be careful there. I don't see any reason that a vehicle that can get over the uneven bumps, etc. in the road, would have any trouble up to the radio towers. Above the radio towers, there is more snow - road is mostly covered with snow, but not more then ~4" or so.
Thank you sir! Very helpful. This is exactly what I was hoping to hear :)

P.S. I'm an O-State alum and I had a blast in Aggieville/at the game two weeks ago. I'm pulling for yall for national champs!
KSU Wildcat
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by KSU Wildcat »

e -

Looks like we didn't "pull" hard enough. Who were those imposters wearing purple Sat. night? Hope your Princeton climb went well!
Climb on!
WSC_Geologist12
14ers: 58  1  4 
13ers: 25 2 2
Trip Reports (2)

Post by WSC_Geologist12 »

I posted a conditions report and a TH report (with pictures). I drove my 4wd Chevy Silverado to ~10,575' where I encountered an ice patch that covered the entire road. That snow that KSU Wildcat was speaking of must have melted and froze, I think the ice will only get worse as freeze/thaw continues. Unfortunately the size of my truck forced me to navigate the entire road in reverse on the way down.

Unfortunately, that ice patch blocks you from getting to the remainder of fairly snow-free road. But at the end of the day the extra miles on your legs feel rewarding :P