Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Gene -- from Harvard/Columbia

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Gene -- from Harvard/Columbia

Postby ulvetano » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:25 pm

Call me at 415-710-6346. Chuck

Edit to inquiries: nothing too crazy to share, but was thankful for a helping hand. We attempted horn fork, to Harvard, to Columbia, but ended up way late in the day near the base of Columbia on the east side. One in my party was extremely fatigued and with a few ailments and it was 4pm. We made a decision to bail into French Crk to avoid summitting Columbia after dark in high winds. We had met 'gene' on the hike and he decided to rush for the summit and complete the route in his running gear. We descended French but knew we had another 20+ miles to get to the car. We thought about getting to 24 and hitch hiking into town, getting food, and then hiking back up, but I called Chafee sheriff and asked if there was any chance of getting a lift from the trailhead, but stressed that we were fine and could manage on our own if needbe. They asked me to hold for a few min and then said they had a SAR guy a few minutes away and he would be happy to pick us up. He did and we made it back to the car and were concerned that Gene could have had difficulties on his descent, but no cars were in the lot. It was a tough decision to make to descend French, but minimized any potential major issues throughout the night.
Last edited by ulvetano on Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Gene -- from Harvard/Columbia -- are you out and safe?

Postby ulvetano » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:23 pm

Well looks like you are out. We got back to the trailhead and there were no cars. Glad you made it ok. Sorry how that worked out. We need to drink a beer to recap that. SAR graciously gave us a lift back to car.

Postby nyker » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:32 am

this sounds like there is an interesting story behind it?

Postby cybrhikr » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:24 pm

I agree!

Postby Dex » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:11 pm

Let's hear it!
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Re: Gene -- from Harvard/Columbia

Postby nyker » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:12 pm

OK, sounds like things worked out ok? Did Gene start from the standard route where you expected to see a vehicle for him?

Re: Gene -- from Harvard/Columbia

Postby ulvetano » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:21 pm

Yes, same lot.