Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

R1 Hoody questions

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

R1 Hoody questions

Postby MyFeetHurt » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:16 pm

So this piece of gear seems pretty darn popular, and I can understand why, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to pick one up for an upcoming multi day trip.

My question is, how are people using it, as a next to skin base layer, or with something underneath like a thin wool shirt? It seems like a good base layer but fleece is not the greatest skin layer, especially and stinks like crazy after just a few days. And while I like the long tail to tuck in as a base layer, it kinda seems to take away from the versatility a little bit. This jacket fixes that problem and is about the same in fleece style/thickness (not nearly as thick as a standard monkey man). But, maybe tucking in the shirt as a pullover isn't as much of a pain as it seems.
http://www.mountainhardwear.com/Men%27s-Monkey-Man-Grid%E2%84%A2-Jacket/OM4784,default,pd.html

I'm thinking of using it as a base layer with some light shell for winter hiking/backcountry skiing, and over a light wool shirt, under a synthetic insulated jacket in the Andes.

Re: R1 Hoody questions

Postby pvnisher » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:35 pm

I do not use it as a base layer, I always have on a thin undershirt (take your pick).
I also do not tuck it in. Seems weird to tuck in.

This jacket is very good, but also, in my opinion, quite overrated. Not in the sense that it's not as good as people say (it is). Just in the fact that the main qualities that people love are due to it being PowerDry (by Polartec), and you can pick up basically any piece of clothing made from PowerDry (or Powerstretch, another favorite) and it will be essentially the same for a much lower price.
The retail of $149 for basically a really nice techy sweatshirt is silly.

You can get a basic PowerDry shirt (non-hoody) for under $40.
http://www.rei.com/product/819174/rei-heavyweight-polartec-power-dry-zip-t-mens

Or a hooded pullover (not the balaclava hood) for $45.
http://www.cabelas.com/mens-polarweight-base-layer-tops-cabelas-e-c-w-c-s-military-polartec-power-dry-polar-weight-hoodie-150-regular.shtml

You can get Rab baseline with half zip and same hood for $120 (75 GBP).
http://www.facewest.co.uk/Rab-Baseline-Hoodie.html

That said, it is as nice to have as everyone says. But there's a premium on the label.

Postby MyFeetHurt » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:22 pm

I pretty much agree with what is said above and have kept my eye out for basically a snug mid fleece hoody. My question is mainly about how people are incorporating it in there system. Next to skin, over wool, tuck it in (Patagonia) or not (full zip style). The Patagonia does seem to fit the best though. My belief is this layer is much more efficient with a snug athletic fit. I need a heavy shirt/light insulating jacket style layer that I can live in for a week or two.

Postby oldschoolczar » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:30 pm

I just bought the R1 pullover yesterday and I'm going to take it back and get that REI one for 1/3 of the price. I can't justify dropping $130 on this when it looks like the $40 REI one will do probably just as well for me..

Thanks for posting that link..
"Tonight I'll shave the mountain
I'll cut the hearts from pharoahs"
-Tom Waits

Postby TomPierce » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:45 pm

I haven't seen the REI version up close, but IMO the best R1 Hoodie knock-off I've seen is Mountain Equipment Coop's MEC T3 Hoodie. Same material that others have noted above, waffle weave inside and smooth outer finish, monkey mitts, snug hood that will fit under a helmet, nicely styled (slim fit), two colors. $68.00 US, available online.

As for use, like others I have a very thin wicking layer on first, then use the T3 as a mid layer on really cold days. It's not really wind resistant enough for an outer layer on a breezy cold day. But a superb design, very useful.

-Tom

Postby Dave B » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:31 pm

TomPierce wrote:...but IMO the best R1 Hoodie knock-off I've seen is Mountain Equipment Coop's MEC T3 Hoodie.

I agree with this, you can't beat the price for the MEC (although prepare yourself for $15 shipping from Canadia) and the quality is pretty darn good.

Other options also include the NW Alpine Spider Light Hoody it's supposedly quite bit thinner than the R1, more similar to Pat. Cap 3 or 4.

The big one I'm looking at now is the Wild Things Wind Pro made from the PolarTec wind pro with hard face. I think it would probably be as warm (or a bit warmer) as the R1 but the huge advantage for me is that the fabric is really pretty wind resistant while maintaining most of the breathability of traditional fleece. Also, you can now customize this with any combination of stitching, fabric, zipper color etc.; pretty cool.

As for the OP, I do one of two things with my R1 depending on forecast and activity level.

For active days (BC skiing, mountaineering) I will typically wear a short sleeve wool or synth tee. This with a (very) thin soft shell jacket get's me through just about everything but the coldest, shitiest, windy winter days. But those days are best spent drinking beer in my opinion.

For really cold days or less active days (running laps on ice routes, resort skiing) I'll typically wear a long sleeve cap 2 or cap 3 under it.

It's a great layer, but I might switch mine out for the wind pro version from Wild Things in the near future.
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Postby pvnisher » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:51 pm

I hadn't heard of Wild Things, browsing the site now.

I just took the Patagonia Piton Hybrid up Mont Blanc, and it was great. Mix of WindPro (with hardface) on the shoulders, elbows, and hood, and powerdry everywhere else. Like a souped-up R1.
http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/mens-piton-hybrid-hoody-for-alpine-climbing?p=31810-0-175

Super nice, but I wouldn't buy it unless I had lots of money. But if you do have lots of money, then you should buy it.

EMS also makes a powerdry hoodie for $65.
http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12463314

Postby Johnson » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:41 pm

Definitely a mid-layer. Short sleeve underneath, don't tuck it in, soft shell (Don't tell Bean or Bean2) on top. I have used a long-sleeve base under the R1 and it felt weird. I use the hood on the R1 a bunch. It helps keep protect my head from a bit of the chill.
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene

Postby prestone818 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:43 am

You can almost always find an r1 cheaper online for around 80-90. Without a hood I have gotten them for as cheap as $40. I also don't use it as a base layer. Usually will wear it over a cap 2 or 3

Postby Johnson » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:56 pm

prestone818 wrote:You can almost always find an r1 cheaper online for around 80-90. Without a hood I have gotten them for as cheap as $40. I also don't use it as a base layer. Usually will wear it over a cap 2 or 3

Never pay retail for anything!
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene

Postby DaveSwink » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:20 pm

I wear my hoodys next to skin, tucked in, and I layer on a tight weave baselayer with 1/4 zip over the hoody but I do not tuck the second baselayer. I have found that I can dispense with my soft shell with this set up. The two baselayers allow comfort/breathability in an amazing range of conditons without needing to stop and open my pack. When it is relatively warm (high 30s - low 40s) with low wind, I am hood down, monkey paws tucked away, both zips down and my glove liners are dropped into the front of my R1 for easy access. As temps drop and the wind picks up, I can incrementally raise the hood, zip up both baselayers, raise monkey paws, and pull out my liner gloves. This set up has worked well for me down into the teens (while moving) with low wind. Any winds over 20 mph prompt me to pull out my shell & mitts.

I swap out the R1 for a Patagonia merino hoody when temps are not as cold.

Here is a pic from our hike on Gray Wolf/Spalding/Mount Evans yesterday:

P1010493-3.jpg
R1 under another baselayer
P1010493-3.jpg (133.97 KiB) Viewed 925 times

Edit to add: I paid about $80 each for both of the hoodys.

Postby EmmaM » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:20 pm

I'm excited to see they've finally introduced a women's version.

Next