Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Multiple 14ers this Thanksgiving holiday

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Re: Multiple 14ers this Thanksgiving holiday

Postby jdorje » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:22 pm

If you're coming from near sea level, give some thought to acclimation. Spending an hour or more hanging out at a pass (~11k feet) a day or more before may help. Making sure not to sleep too high (8k if possible) may also help. Drink a lot of water - this can be difficult in winter but is just as important. If in doubt, descend immediately before you put the rest of your trip in jeopardy. AMS can be difficult to self-diagnose.

The biggest difference on the easier peaks this time of year is simply that they are more work. You have to carry more gear to make sure you don't freeze, and you have to plod through snow; if I had to guess I'd say it can be a 50% longer day than in the summer. I could be wrong on this, but I doubt you will have any technical issues (avalanche concerns, for instance) on either G+T or Quandary standard routes. The trailhead conditions pages likely have updates on how accessible those main parking lots are.

Couloir climbs on the other hand would have major avalanche concerns at this time of year - that is, if they have snow at all.
-Jason Dorje Short

Postby rijaca » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:25 am

jdorje wrote: I could be wrong on this, but I doubt you will have any technical issues (avalanche concerns, for instance) on either G+T or Quandary standard routes. The trailhead conditions pages likely have updates on how accessible those main parking lots are.

The trail to G/T passes underneath the avy prone slopes of Kelso Mountain. Caution (and possibly a detour) is warranted when snowy conditions are present.
"Spent a little time on the mountain
Spent a little time on the hill"

Postby cajunclimber » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:15 pm

Acclimation is something I always think/worry about. We are planning for one rest day and we may use it Saturday before hitting any peaks depending on how we feel.

As for avalanche conditions, I will take note of rijaca's mention of the Kelso Mountain slopes (and others). Has there been a lot of snow this year? How does that and the forecasts ahead play into the current conditions and potential danger?

Finally, we are looking at the standard routes on Grays/Torreys as well as Quandary. We can fit in one more full day hiking. Evans? Democrat (and neighbors)? Or is Elbert worth traveling a little further for? Anything else you recommend?

Previous