Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Guanella Pass

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Guanella Pass

Postby mountaindude » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:28 pm

Anyone know if Guanella Pass is open? Wanting to do Evans from Guanella trailhead this Friday.

Re: Guanella Pass

Postby jswiftcervelo » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:35 pm

Apologize for the first version... that link is the only one I can find on CDOT - a second look made me realized it was 2011...

However I really hope its the same this year because I'm considering going up there.

Josh
Winter only :) Cycling only March-late October... Mountaineering = awesome cross-training

Postby mountaindude » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:42 pm

Thanks for the CDOT link. Has a phone number too.

Looks like this is last shot at Evans this year unless from the other side.

Postby Rock67 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:57 pm

I was up there last weekend and it was fine. Snow packed on the road but Open and very drivable. I saw front wheel drive Honda's going up so you should be fine. My wife and I did Bierstadt, didn't even need microspikes. It was a bit windy and only 6 degrees out but really wasn't that bad.

Postby mountaindude » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:19 pm

Sounds like nice hiking. Was the marsh frozen?

Postby Tony1 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:04 am

Where was it snowpacked?

Postby mountaindude » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:13 am

Anyone is down for Evans early tom, lmk

Postby DaveSwink » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:11 am

Doing Evans & Spalding from Gnuella Pass on Saturday, if you want to join.

Postby SurfNTurf » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:12 am

mountaindude wrote:Anyone is down for Evans early tom, lmk

Planning to be up there tomorrow (Friday), but also aiming for Gray Wolf, Spalding and West Evans.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Postby mountaindude » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:56 pm

Thanks for the invite Wink but Fridays my window. Maybe will see you there Surf, what time you hitting trailhead?

Postby SurfNTurf » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:51 pm

mountaindude wrote:Thanks for the invite Wink but Fridays my window. Maybe will see you there Surf, what time you hitting trailhead?

Probably around 7. Heading up the Gray Wolf/Spalding drainage, hitting Gray Wolf, then over Spalding and "West Evans" to Evans. Back down the same route, skirting the summits of "West Evans" and Spalding. Don't know what I'll be wearing, but it'll be 2-3 of us and I'll have a bright blue backpack. You're welcome to join if you'd like the extra peaks, otherwise maybe we'll run into each other somewhere on Evans.

-Jeff
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Postby oldschoolczar » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:21 pm

If any of you fellas could report back conditions tomorrow that would be mucho appreciated. I'm thinking about heading up for Bierstadt or Evans Saturday as well.. haven't been up higher than Green Mtn in awhile..
"Tonight I'll shave the mountain
I'll cut the hearts from pharoahs"
-Tom Waits

Next