Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

The Ordinary Skier, boots?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: The Ordinary Skier, boots?

Postby Bean » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:55 pm

davebks wrote:I think Chris Davenport used Radiums on all his 14ers.

He mostly used a crappy Salomon rental boot with a mediocre walk-mode.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:40 pm

I also thought he did a bunch of 14ers in the Salomons. If I were home, I'd check his "Ski the 14ers" photo book. I seem to remember seeing him in those. Maybe his Garmont deal came after?
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby davebks » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:48 pm

I went online to look at pics of him skiing. Every pic of him skiing has snow covering the boots! <shaking my fist!> lousy snow! haha.....

Postby Bean » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:50 pm

davebks wrote:I went online to look at pics of him skiing. Every pic of him skiing has snow covering the boots! <shaking my fist!> lousy snow! haha.....

I just looked through the book, and every time his boots are visible, it's the same light green/yellow Salomon boot - though it's sometimes hard to tell because of the terrible picture quality.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby Carl » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:51 pm

BillMiddlebrook wrote:I also thought he did a bunch of 14ers in the Salomons. If I were home, I'd check his "Ski the 14ers" photo book. I seem to remember seeing him in those. Maybe his Garmont deal came after?

He's got some confirming pictures on his website too, like this one on Harvard.

Postby leggaj5 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:54 pm

From the Mt. Massive entry on skithe14ers.com:

"On another note, many of you have asked what equipment I am using. Right now I'm on Salomon 174 Foil skis and Salomon E2 boots, with Fritschi Freeride bindings. These E2 boots ski great (better than any rando boot I've tried)and have a solid ski/ walk mode and a nice soft sole for hiking. I'm also using Black Diamond skins and poles, as well as their Avalung. I use a Dakine Poacher pack and Giro helmet as well."

Postby davebks » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:56 pm

Huh, thanks for sharing everyone. I was wrong. I thought he was in them but that came later I guess.

Postby COBuckeye » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:57 pm

To the OP regarding which bindings to put on which skis...I was recently faced with the same dilemma.

I chose to mount the new skis with Marker Tour F10 bindings. These are very similar to the Baron/Duke, but a little lighter. Basically, they are just like an alpine binding except they have a "tour" mode. They have an adjustable toe height (necessary for Alpine boots with flat soles, and AT boots with rockered soles) and a sliding AFD (necessary for AT boots with rubber soles) which means they can accommodate both alpine and AT boots.

I also chose to mount said bindings using inserts (I used Binding Freedom, a little better than Quiver Killer IMO). This will enable me to remove the Marker binding and use a Dynafit binding for long tours and skiing peaks.

I am hoping that this combination of binding + inserts will be the ultimate in ski/binding/boot flexibility, but it has to snow before I can find out!
"...cause I got changed by what I've been shown, more glory than the world has known, keeps me ramblin' on..." - Josh Garrels (Farther Along)

Postby SeracZack » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:01 pm

COBuckeye wrote:I chose to mount the new skis with Marker Tour F10 bindings.

Do these have the same feature as the Dukes where you have to take the ski off before you can switch between downhill and free heel modes? That's one feature I am not too fond of. Also, how long have you had the Tour F10's? I have heard horror stories about their durability (or lack there of).
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Postby lodgling » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:04 pm

Dave B had a question about a big guy using inserts. I've installed them on all of my skis with no problems and my (tele) bindings put signifcantly more stress on the binding to ski interface than any alpine setup. Inserts may provide a stronger interface than standard screws to wood. For a while Voile only certified their skis with inserts for use with a tele binding.

PreviousNext