Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

The Ordinary Skier, boots?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

The Ordinary Skier, boots?

Postby davebks » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:32 am

Hey all, I was watching this movie: http://www.hulu.com/watch/322573 (free, check it out!), and also the Jeremy Jones flick Deeper, recently and had a question. I have my alpine boots and my back country touring boots (fit like an alpine boot), but was wondering, when these guys are doing these kinds of climbs, do you think they are in a full alpine boot? Or something more like a garmont Radium?
I think Chris Davenport used Radiums on all his 14ers.

Just wondering because I have a new pair of skis and am deciding which bindings to put on them. The Radiums wont work in some of my alpine bindings so I am in a double quiver situation.
Its hard as hell to climb and stuff in my full on alpine boots, but man, do they ski awesome. The radiums ski well, they do, but they arent my alpine boots, you know?

Opinions?

Re: The Ordinary Skier, boots?

Postby Voodoo302 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:55 am

I know Seth has skied in Full Tilt boots for a long time with Salomon STH bindings, I assume he does the climbs in those as well, although I didn't notice when I saw the film. If you have a pair of bindings that will fit both boots (with a toe adjustment or something) I'd say slap those bad boys on, otherwise go for the ones that fit your Radiums. The lug sole and walk/tour mode will make climbing a lot easier. Still a pain in the ass, but easier.

Postby Dave B » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:04 am

One of my BC partners always tours in his alpine boots. Mostly because he's too cheap to buy AT boots. We've walked miles on dirt roads together and I've never heard him complain, but it seems like it would be miserable to me.

With that said, it seems like some of the new AT boots are pretty burly and closing the gap on the tradeoffs between lightness and tour-ability and downhill stability. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I can comment on those options.

Another option I've considered exploring are the Quiver Killer screws which allow you to easily switch one pair of bindings among multiple skis. I'm not a very aggressive skier but am large framed and am concerned about the robustness of such a system. I'd be interested in some others opinions on these if they have them.
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:11 am

On those "short," steep climbs where they aren't skinning, I bet some of them use their favorite, bomber Alpine boot. If they're wearing crampons on the way up, the AT sole isn't as important and they just have to suffer without the flex of walk-mode. Sometimes you'll just want your Alpine gear and many pro skiers are no different.

While AT gear advances have certainly made the climb a bit easier, I almost always would rather have one of my Alpine setups when it comes to the descent. On short, non-skinning, mountain routes, I'll sometimes suck it up and use Alpine skis although I am trying to stick with one boot for everything (BD Factors with interchangeable soles and Intuition Freeride liners) but there are still times when I wish I had my Alpine boots for the descent. I'm hoping this will be my first year using the same boots for every ski.

It was good to see this film again - Seth is the man.
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby ajkagy » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:13 am

i recently bought new dynafit boots (titan ultralight) because they have interchangeable soles that make them dynafit tech or ISO DIN compatible. They are under 8 lbs so light for touring yet stiff and burly enough for alpine. I really like the idea of consolidating your gear down to 1 boot, especially if it fits right, is more comfortable than an alpine boot and the performance is still the same.
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby davebks » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:24 am

Thanks for the info. I was considering taking out the liner of my radiums and have Surefoot make a new liner for them. That would add some stiffness and comfort, but also some weight.
Shop liners are just so average in general. I did a lot of work on my Radiums at Neptune and they ski pretty well overall.
I guess I will see what the season brings in terms of snow for a bit before I mount my new Folsoms.

I agree its nice to get down to one boot. Some of my older skis will never work with the radiums but any new skis I am trying to make them alpine and touring ready. you never know what you'll need. It would be awesome to use the Radiums full time since they are light, easy on/off, and walk well. Better for apre! :wft:

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:44 am

ajkagy wrote:the performance is still the same.

That's the part I still struggle with. I have yet to find an AT boot which matches the performance of my Alpine boots, although I could just be mental ](*,) . I think part of it is because I grew up skiing in racing boots.

Postby davebks » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:48 am

I agree with Bill. The Radium's do ski well but the full alpine boot is a machine.

Postby jam6880 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:49 am

In Colorado(14ers) you need a AT boot because of all the approach's unless you have a sled. For bindings like the marker and solomon AT bindings are all heavy and are capable to use AT and down hill boot. But some new AT boots are only for dynafit style of binding(which is the best). If you are a good skier you can still use a real light AT boot and kick ass on the downhill if you are that good. If you have a good hook up or have plenty of money the dynafit style setup are getting really close to feeling like a downhill setup and while going up hill is super easy. It take you a long time to figure out which setup to go with a super light AT style(dynafit) or heavy awesome downhill style.

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:51 am

jam6880 wrote:while going up hill is super easy.

Remind me not to skin with you. In my book, "super easy" is when the chopper pilot wakes us up before the landing.

Postby ajkagy » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:55 am

BillMiddlebrook wrote:
ajkagy wrote:the performance is still the same.

That's the part I still struggle with. I have yet to find an AT boot which matches the performance of my Alpine boots, although I could just be mental ](*,) . I think part of it is because I grew up skiing in racing boots.

I like a softer flex, so I probably don't feel much of a difference, but I think the performance aspect of AT boots are much better than they were 5 yrs ago. Racing boots just sounds painful :-D
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby davebks » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:02 pm

oh, no question they have come a long way. the radium I am in is about as close to an alpine boot as I have found from an AT set up. they are about 2 years old but I am sure every year something newer comes out that does a better job.
I found that just having the shop really dial them in a was a big thing.
At first I was in way too big a boot. I talked to the guys at the shop and they thought I wanted more of a touring set up, I told them I did, but an alpine fit. Once we downsized my boot by a whole size I was skiing closer to my alpine boot. Fit is always king I guess.

Next