Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

San Juan Conditions?

Colorado 14er peak questions and conditions should be posted here. 14er Trip Reports

San Juan Conditions?

Postby Furthermore » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:31 pm

Has anyone been on peaks around Lake City? I was wondering what the road/snow conditions were and if the trailhead was still accessible to San Luis? Redcloud/Sunshine? I am looking at finishing up some 13ers in those areas.

User avatar
Posts: 1122
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:11 pm
Location: Centennial, CO

Re: San Juan Conditions?

Postby Floyd » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:43 pm

Check out this thread: viewtopic.php?t=38237&p=462772#p462772

It doesn't sound too bad for mid-November.
"Athletes express themselves physically, this is their art. As an athlete, exhausting oneself on the field or or on the track or on the trail or on the mountain brings calm and satisfaction. Thrashing about… our expression." - Steve Gleason

User avatar
Posts: 577
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:38 pm
Location: Boulder

Re: San Juan Conditions?

Postby I Man » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:44 pm

Hey buddy - going for Stewart by any chance? 8)

My guess its either that group or the Unnamed Centennial 13ers...
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

"I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.

Re: San Juan Conditions?

Postby Furthermore » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:50 pm

Yeah, Steward was an option. I was planning on either Steward-Baldy Alto-Organ or '811, '832 on Saturday and 13313-12783 on Sunday. If anyone is interested in joining, I would like the company.

User avatar
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:38 pm
Location: Littleton, CO

Re: San Juan Conditions?

Postby I like it on top » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:52 pm

I was down there two weekends ago the 4th, and the road to the TH's for Grizzly gulch and the American basin was clear (no snow). Depending on how much snow they got this past weekend I would imagine things are still pretty accessible.

User avatar
Posts: 577
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:38 pm
Location: Boulder

Re: San Juan Conditions?

Postby I Man » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:54 pm

Furthermore wrote:Yeah, Steward was an option. I was planning on either Steward-Baldy Alto-Organ or '811, '832 on Saturday and 13313-12783 on Sunday. If anyone is interested in joining, I would like the company.


I have '811 and '832, but Stewart was on my list originally for this Sunday before looking at other options. Would you need to meet at the TH? If we could get 4 (i have 2) that would be great. I know Aaron was looking at the area.
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

"I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.

Re: San Juan Conditions?

Postby Furthermore » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:00 pm

I would have to meet at the trailhead since I am working in Durango the following week. We could do a car shuttle for the 3 peaks which saves some mileage and gain. Due to driving logistics, I would need to do these peaks Saturday. Durango is only 3 hours from Spring Creek Pass whereas it would be close to 5 or 6 hours from the Steward TH.

User avatar
Posts: 367
Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 12:54 pm
Location: Littleton

Re: San Juan Conditions?

Postby uwe » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:54 pm

Hi,

I am taking a small crew of CMC'ers this weekend to climb Jones Mountain (outside of Silverton)
Been tracking the weather for 4 weeks. Spoke to Mark Winkworth with USDA FS today and one of our guys talked to the Silverton Chamber of Commerce folks yesterday.

The scoop:
There has only been one storm in the area this season; the one last weekend that dumped 12"-18" in higher elevations (>10K').
A fairly stable week to settle stuff down. (Maybe in an inch here and there over the week.) There is a weak, (so far), uptick in moisture coming in today that will result in partly sunny/cloudy days for the weekend, 30% chance of snow showers, with day temps in the mid twenties, some wind, 10-15mph on Sunday. It does not sound like a San Juan dumping. Our crew is good with the forecast. AVY danger for our area is low, although still a good idea to avoid cross loaded areas on the leeward sides encountered in your climb. I am guessing that jeep roads and roads not plowed are going to be iffy for vehicle travel. In our case, we are only able to drive to Eureka, not directly to the Grouse-Burns Gulch TH. Doubles our RT milage. :(

Good luck! My guess is that the window of fairly easy access to the San Juans is closing. Soon skis, skins, backpacks & multi-days will be needed to make tracks up some of those peaks.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AlexeyD, drewdraws, Spivey, teedublya, Tory Wells and 44 guests