Favorite Beer?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
FFLpilot
14ers: 2 
13ers: 6 3
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Favorite Beer?

Post by FFLpilot »

Dale's Deviant IPA. I like it even better then my previous staple-favorite, Dogfish Head 90-Minute IPA.
DanR
14ers: 33 
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (4)

Post by DanR »

FFLpilot wrote:Dale's Deviant IPA. I like it even better then my previous staple-favorite, Dogfish Head 90-Minute IPA.
Deviant is a great call, and as far as I'm concerned it's the BEST backpacking beer on the market right now.

This is also one of my favorite times of year (from a beer perspective) as Sierra Nevada's Celebration has just started to hit stores. My opinion is certainly colored by the fact that it's a seasonal and tremendous value, but it's a wonderful hoppy beer.
Papillon
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 324 7
Trip Reports (18)

Post by Papillon »

DanR wrote:Deviant is a great call, and as far as I'm concerned it's the BEST backpacking beer on the market right now.
I'd agree with you but OB supposedly released Gordon in a 16 ounce can within the last month or so. That could be tough to top.
The look in his eyes when it hit - Kid, it was tasty... - William Seward Burroughs
Matt
14ers: 58 
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Matt »

I'm glad to see this thread come back. Thanks!

I just returned from New Mexico and offer this as my new favorite IPA and next summer's backpacking tall boy (to alternate with the new oversize Gordons).
D1D73BCC-95A4-4857-B403-40F1148A004C-21631-00000811C8CA1256.jpg
D1D73BCC-95A4-4857-B403-40F1148A004C-21631-00000811C8CA1256.jpg (105.43 KiB) Viewed 1608 times
La Cumbre Elevated IPA: 100 IBU, 7.2% ABV. It's perhaps the finest thing to come out of New Mexico since green chile. A visit to the brewery Saturday night yielded two different delicious casked double dry-hopped versions (25oz for $6) and a huge smile on my face.
If you find yourself in ABQ and like IPA, you owe it to yourself to try this. Yum. Rumor has it that they will be in Denver soon enough.

Also, Marble Brewing in ABQ is all over Denver, and their offerings are uniformly solid.
Today, I stopped in at their tap room in Santa Fe, and got to try their Belgian Pumpkin ale--weird, for sure, but really creative and tasty.
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List
oldschoolczar
14ers: 45  1  1 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by oldschoolczar »

One I enjoy lately, but harder to find, is Dogfish Head Sahtea. It's got some chai spices but tastes pretty damn good. Pricey though. Also Stone Arrogant Bastard ale is a good one that's a bit more reasonably priced.
“what matters most is
how well you
walk through the
fire” -Charles Bukowski
tommyboy360
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by tommyboy360 »

Matt wrote:the new oversize Gordons
What the...? Have you been hiding this? I hope the stores figured out the pricing better than the regular size Gordons. 4 Pack? What did you pay?
“It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”
DanR
14ers: 33 
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (4)

Post by DanR »

Papillon wrote:
DanR wrote:Deviant is a great call, and as far as I'm concerned it's the BEST backpacking beer on the market right now.
I'd agree with you but OB supposedly released Gordon in a 16 ounce can within the last month or so. That could be tough to top.
I missed that - as much as I enjoy Deviant, I do have a slight preference for Gordon. It will indeed be tough to top.
jblyth
14ers: 58  5  15 
13ers: 145 8 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jblyth »

Matt wrote:I'm glad to see this thread come back. Thanks!

I just returned from New Mexico and offer this as my new favorite IPA and next summer's backpacking tall boy (to alternate with the new oversize Gordons).
D1D73BCC-95A4-4857-B403-40F1148A004C-21631-00000811C8CA1256.jpg
La Cumbre Elevated IPA: 100 IBU, 7.2% ABV. It's perhaps the finest thing to come out of New Mexico since green chile. A visit to the brewery Saturday night yielded two different delicious casked double dry-hopped versions (25oz for $6) and a huge smile on my face.
If you find yourself in ABQ and like IPA, you owe it to yourself to try this. Yum. Rumor has it that they will be in Denver soon enough.

Also, Marble Brewing in ABQ is all over Denver, and their offerings are uniformly solid.
Today, I stopped in at their tap room in Santa Fe, and got to try their Belgian Pumpkin ale--weird, for sure, but really creative and tasty.

Best thing since Green Chile? I have very high expectations. It sounds tasty, I'll be on the lookout....or, let me know the next time you head down and I'll put in an order.

I'm starting a home brew batch of Bells Two Hearted - got a few bottles for you, assuming I don't mess it up.
lordhelmut
14ers: 50  21  5 
13ers: 300 60 1
Trip Reports (73)

Post by lordhelmut »

DanR wrote:
Papillon wrote:
I missed that - as much as I enjoy Deviant, I do have a slight preference for Gordon. It will indeed be tough to top.
Oddly enough, they are the same price, least at Argonaut ($12.99). The DIPA 4-pack in a can market is really starting to bloom nicely :

Crank Yanker IPA from Eddyline (9$)
Dank IPA from Provst (9$)
Gordon's (13$)
Deviants (13$)
La Cumbre Elevated (10$)

If anyone at Avery is listening, please start canning Maharaja or Dugana in 16oz 4-packs!

Also, an epiphany I had last night. Every time you buy a bomber of something quality, like Dugana, Pliney or Gordon's, accompany your purchase with something total s**t, like Ranger. Drink a small glass of the Ranger, then follow up with the good stuff and it elevates the taste that much more.
ajkagy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ajkagy »

just had Big Sky brewery's IPA last night, really tasty.

http://wanderingthemountains.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
crestone14ers
Trip Reports (0)

Post by crestone14ers »

Hibernation Ale 2010, 2011, 2012 and the 750 Hibernation Cask in Stranahans barrels. The best brews this time of year! :wink:
Floyd
13ers: 100
Trip Reports (35)

Post by Floyd »

crestone14ers wrote:Hibernation Ale 2010, 2011, 2012 and the 750 Hibernation Cask in Stranahans barrels. The best brews this time of year! :wink:
Hibernation is pretty good, but I'm an Old Jubilation guy. I wouldn't mind trying the cask version if I can track it down though.

Luckily, I'm headed to Beer City USA this weekend!
"Athletes express themselves physically, this is their art. As an athlete, exhausting oneself on the field or or on the track or on the trail or on the mountain brings calm and satisfaction. Thrashing about… our expression." - Steve Gleason