Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Wetterhorn/Uncompahgre - Last weekend of winter?

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Re: Save the Date - Winter Gathering - Wetterhorn/Uncompahgr

Postby SilverLynx » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:32 am

This is too far away for me to know what I'll be doing. I'll have an answer as the date gets closer. Right now there are too many variables in my life that could change before then... Sounds like fun though, and Wetterhorn is one of my top 5 faves.
"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."
~Nelson Mandela

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition."
~Steve Jobs

Postby MonGoose » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:48 pm

Dancesatmoonrise wrote:

A woman with a sled? I think I'm in love. :-D

Postby DeucesWild » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:54 pm

Fletch wrote: This isn't some Eiger expedition from the 30's...

Way to rain on my parade. I was getting really fired up for my snowflake on this one until you had to mention that.
Snowflakes, Uber Alles!

www.deuceIRA.com. Put the Douche in your FiDeuceiary needs today!!

Postby bergsteigen » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:57 pm

MonGoose wrote:
A woman with a sled? I think I'm in love. :-D

Beware sledding disasters on non-roads, WG 2011... (photo post recovery of said sled)
Attachments
harvard_206.jpg
Sleds slipping sideways downhill...
harvard_206.jpg (145.02 KiB) Viewed 474 times
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."
- Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)

http://otinasadventures.com

Postby highpilgrim » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:03 pm

d_baker wrote:MountainMedic wrote:
James, I wouldn't be so sure. Anderl Heckmair will be in Golden next week to discuss the route.

I wouldn't be so sure either, since he's dead.

Now that's funny. :lol:
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Postby MonGoose » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:04 pm

bergsteigen wrote:
Beware sledding disasters on non-roads, ...

Oh, I am aware. I took a sled on the Christmas day trip to Humboldt last winter and I still take a lot of crap for bringing that sled (especially from Dillon). I am forever indebted to Brian Thomas for helping me get it out, because it took two people to control it on the downhill.

Postby bergsteigen » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:14 pm

MonGoose wrote:
bergsteigen wrote:
Beware sledding disasters on non-roads, ...

Oh, I am aware. I took a sled on the Christmas day trip to Humboldt last winter and I still take a lot of crap for bringing that sled (especially from Dillon). I am forever indebted to Brian Thomas for helping me get it out, because it took two people to control it on the downhill.

I've used a harness with poles firmly attached to the sled. While still comical (no photos in pre-digital age), it works better. Better control, unless on steep side hill with an open stream...
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."

Postby moon stalker » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:47 pm

bergsteigen wrote:Beware sledding disasters on non-roads, WG 2011... (photo post recovery of said sled)

Oh that's not fair! No pictures allowed, no digital evidence of me learning the hard way! :lol:
LIFE is what happens when plans go awry.

Postby bergsteigen » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:35 am

moon stalker wrote:
bergsteigen wrote:Beware sledding disasters on non-roads, WG 2011... (photo post recovery of said sled)

Oh that's not fair! No pictures allowed, no digital evidence of me learning the hard way! :lol:

I didn't say it was you! :wink: Should I have used a black box to protect the innocent? :lol:

Postby moon stalker » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:01 pm

bergsteigen wrote:
moon stalker wrote:

I didn't say it was you! :wink: Should I have used a black box to protect the innocent? :lol:

Innocent - not really. Stupid - more appropriate. No worries, I can take it, I'm always in for a good laugh. I still laugh at that picture and thinking about that trip. What's bad is that this winter I will be found pulling a sled a lot, but I will stick to roads or trails known to be wide! ](*,)
LIFE is what happens when plans go awry.

Postby Papillon » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:12 pm

moon stalker wrote:Innocent - not really. Stupid - more appropriate. No worries, I can take it, I'm always in for a good laugh. I still laugh at that picture and thinking about that trip. What's bad is that this winter I will be found pulling a sled a lot, but I will stick to roads or trails known to be wide! ](*,)

Come on, moon stalker. I had a sled on that trip and it wasn't that bad... until half the road out of Horn Fork was melted out on Sunday afternoon.
The look in his eyes when it hit - Kid, it was tasty... - William Seward Burroughs

Re: Wetterhorn/Uncompahgre - Last weekend of winter?

Postby sgladbach » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:13 pm

I spoke with dancesatmoonrise earlier this year and suggested that Wetterhorn would make a cool place for a winter gathering. It seemed like anothe step-up in difficulty from our last three trips (Uncompahgre from Nellie Creek, harvard/ Columbia from horn Creek, holy Cross via Halfmoon pass.)

I'm sorry, but (in spite of suggesting the trip) I've decided not to participate in the winter Wetterhorn gathering. A few members voiced th eopinion that they felt it a foolhardy endeavor and, as a result, I've decided to cancel for myself. Personally, I can't be involved in a project where the criticism begins months in advance. Mountaineering is risky and, because of my personality, I would be inclined to shoulder the blame for an entire group should there be an incident.

A few years ago an author published a book where he included me under his chapter on how dangerous it is to follow a leader based on his reputation. The significant facts were wrong, but as one might expect, the book resurrected a very dark period of my life that took many years to reconcile.

Currently, I'm not capable of dealing with another personal attack. We all know mountaineering is dangerous but, if there is a problem, some Bozo will figure out where he wants to place the blame and publish his opinions (maybe not in print, but it will be on this site in about 15 minutes). Someone has to deal with the fallout of that crap.

I do feel Wetterhorn is a reasonable late winter goal for those with moderate snow travel and snow evaluation experience. I don't think it is "foolhardy."
Last edited by sgladbach on Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?

PreviousNext