Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Colorado Trail - 80 miles added

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Colorado Trail - 80 miles added

Postby dehrlich101 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:25 pm

Quote from the Colorado Trail Foundations Facebook Page - https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Colorado-Trail-Foundation/115337198486403

We just mailed out Tread Lines announcing the newest edition to the Trail - 80 NEW MILES collocated with the CDT, The Collegiate West! It makes an awesome 160 mile loop with the north end at Twin Lakes and the south end at the top of South Fooses Creek. Good-bye shuttle, hello vistas!

546764_493251574028295_1786310614_n.jpg
546764_493251574028295_1786310614_n.jpg (158.59 KiB) Viewed 1036 times

They are also trying to win $20,000 from Colorado Native Lager. Help support the CT by "liking" the page and then press vote, and select the button BELOW their logo.

https://www.facebook.com/ColoradoNativeLager
I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in - Aldo Leopold

Support Colorado Search and Rescue - CORSAR Card

LOJ

Re: Colorado Trail - 80 miles added

Postby geojed » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:38 pm

That's awesome!

Postby SKIBREC » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:47 pm

what a cool loop that is going to be :-D
Mike & Gail

There's no such thing as bad weather... just the wrong gear

Postby Tory Wells » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:18 pm

Wanna take bets on who will be the first person(s) to "run" the whole loop in a single push?
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach

Postby dehrlich101 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:40 pm

Tory Wells wrote:Wanna take bets on who will be the first person(s) to "run" the whole loop in a single push?

thebeave7 needs a new project in the Sawatch since he conquered Nolans14.... :-"
I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in - Aldo Leopold

Support Colorado Search and Rescue - CORSAR Card

LOJ

Postby Jim Davies » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:38 am

I don't understand the "good-bye shuttle" thing. The new section still goes through a wilderness area, so can't be biked, right?

But more trails are a good thing, although now those hundreds of CT finishers will have to go back and do another 80 miles. :)
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Postby Rich H » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:30 am

It looks like it goes over Hope Pass - then? maybe Pear Lake or Missouri Gulch? - on the North side.

Postby geojed » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:06 am

My Guess on Route: Hope Pass - Winfield - Lake Ann Pass - Timberline Trail - Texas Creek - Timberline Trail - Mirror Lake - Tincup Pass - FS Trail 1439 - Tunnel Gulch - Chalk Creek Pass - Boss Lake Res - FS Trail 1420 - Monarch Pass.
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
• The best climber in the world is the one who’s having the most fun.— Alex Lowe
• Why do I climb the mountain? Because I'm in love! — The Captain

Postby Doctor No » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:00 am

It's apparently the CDT (according to a comment on that same Facebook thread) - although I can't find a good detailed map of that online.

From that thread: "This section has long been CDNST. Only now it will officially be collocated with the CT, adopted by the CTF and maintained by volunteers. These 80 miles includes the beautiful Hope Pass. It’s expected the loop will mainly appeal to hikers and horseback riders. Mountain bikers might not choose it because of the lengthy detours required. It’s very new to us, we’re still learning all the particulars, and we are very excited. Thanks goes out to all CDT’ers who worked on this section previously!"

Postby Dex » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:14 am

There is talk in Ga about extending the Appalachian trail to the Gulf along the Chattahoochee River.
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby geojed » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:15 am

Doctor No wrote:It's apparently the CDT (according to a comment on that same Facebook thread) - although I can't find a good detailed map of that online.

Here's a zoomable map of the CDT in Colorado created from a GPX.
http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php?q=mymap,203132380232741494958.0004ce78697eea713e6e1
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
• The best climber in the world is the one who’s having the most fun.— Alex Lowe
• Why do I climb the mountain? Because I'm in love! — The Captain

Postby LynnKH » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:19 am

dehrlich101 wrote:
They are also trying to win $20,000 from Colorado Native Lager. Help support the CT by "liking" the page and then press vote, and select the button BELOW their logo.

https://www.facebook.com/ColoradoNativeLager

That's awesome that there's a new section of the trail that creates a loop. Can't wait to check it out and thanks for the great work you do.

But I gotta throw this out there: Alternatively, you could vote for Greenwood Wildlife Rehabilitation Center! We take care of about 2,400 sick, injured, and orphaned wild animals each year and the $20,000 would go a really long way towards buying formula and other basic supplies for our animals, like for this orphaned baby fox. All of our animals go back into the wild as soon as they are ready.

Animals v. Trails - I know, it is a tough choice!
Attachments
fox kit.jpg
fox kit.jpg (51.28 KiB) Viewed 588 times

Next