Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Anti-Festivus Airing of Non-Grievances

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Site Administrator

Re: Anti-Festivus Airing of Non-Grievances

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:31 am

Today I'm mounting Dynafits on a new pair of AT skis. Hooray!!
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby susanjoypaul » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:39 am

I'm thankful for that Golden Time that occurs from mid-November to mid-December (and again from mid-March to mid-April) when conditions on the peaks aren't summer-perfect enough to attract the average hiker, yet still fall outside the calendar-winter-window, when snowflake-hunters flock to the hills in search of profile bling. It is a calm, quiet, and special time to be in the mountains :-D

Postby wildlobo71 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:44 am

I came to work early to study up on options for climbing in Central America this coming February!

Volcanos in Nicaragua?

Tall mountains in Costa Rica?

Tallest mountains in Guatemala!

All that and Orizaba next week! Thank God we are slow at work this week.
Bill W.
Yes, I have my Scotch.

Postby Upstate Hiker » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:21 am

This year was the most incredible of my life so far, and I am thankful every day.

I spent New Years learning to drift dive off of Cozumel. Made new friends all over the world. Realized Colorado will always be my home no matter home far I travel. I left the job that made me miserable and am confident that things will be better. I ran my first half marathon. My doctor removed asthma from my medical records. I slept in a hammock in a cargo boat while floating down the Amazon. After years of struggling to learn, I can finally speak Spanish. I climbed my first peak over 19,000. I solo backpacked South Dakota, Olympic National Park and the Grand Canyon. I saw beauty that moved me to tears. I learned to surf in Ecuador and over came my fear of water. I travelled alone and was sometimes in dangerous situations but always was able to care for myself. That travel taught me so much; most importantly it taught me to live with very few possessions and to be confident wearing raggedy clothes and no makeup. My sister got a great new job that makes her proud. My mother added to her farm and is happy. I fell in love with a man, a place and a mountain chain. And that love taught me that I am capable of anything. I have never felt stronger, more alive or more comfortable in my own skin. My life is so good, and I am thankful every day.

.....and there folks, is my first non-sarcastic, positive contribution to the forum.

Postby kimo » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:12 am

anna wrote:...how about sharing with the class some thing(s) you're thankful for?

A long time ago Yeats said...

Faeries, come take me out of this dull world,
For I would ride with you upon the wind,
Run on the top of the dishevelled tide,
And dance upon the mountains like a flame.

I am thankful of Love. And I am thankful for faeries.

Postby SilverLynx » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:40 am

I am thankful for:

- My family
- My pets: Mischa, Charlie, Nikki, Maggie, Lexi, Neo, Bo, Crikey, Iceman and Snowflake
- Waking up and seeing the mountains every morning
- Being able to see Longs Peak, my favorite 14er, from the Starbucks near my house
- Coffee :mrgreen:
- My health and safety, and finally being over that crazy cold that lasted for weeks
- Having food to eat and clean water to drink
- Being able to spend time with some special people in the mountains this year, and meet some new ones too
- Guidebooks and beta that help us get safely to the summits of peaks and safely home again
- My camera so I can share my memories with others
- Any hiking partner that can last more than two hikes with me, and even those that can't
- My Pathfinder (Kylie), which has taken me up some pretty intense dirt roads to 14er trailheads
- Music \:D/
"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."
~Nelson Mandela

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition."
~Steve Jobs

Postby Exiled Michigander » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:47 am

kimo wrote:

That may be the lamest thing I have ever read on 14ers.com.

I am thankful that later this afternoon Deuces Wild will likely jump all over this bulls**t thread and I will be entertained at work.

Postby kimo » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:58 am

Exiled Michigander wrote:
kimo wrote:

That may be the lamest thing I have ever read on 14ers.com.

I am thankful that later this afternoon Deuces Wild will likely jump all over this bulls**t thread and I will be entertained at work.

Buy roses often? You have no imagination or wit. Especially if you rely on Deuces for entertainment. You are in the wrong thread. Try this one:
http://www.14ers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=33074&p=462621#p462621
Last edited by kimo on Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby ajkagy » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:07 am

BillMiddlebrook wrote:Today I'm mounting Dynafits on a new pair of AT skis. Hooray!!

+1 ...I got a new pair of dyanfit boots + skis this week! Now we're just missing snow :)
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby Exiled Michigander » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:14 am

kimo wrote:You have no imagination or wit. Especially if you rely on Deuces for entertainment. You are in the wrong thread. Try this one:
http://www.14ers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=33074&p=462621#p462621

I wholeheartedly apologize if I have offended you or any of your faeries. It's just that I've always been more of a pixie kind of guy.

Come on! You have to admit that your line was the cheesiest thing ever!

Postby kimo » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:20 am

What's wrong with cheese? It's the other bacon.

Postby SurfNTurf » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:29 am

I'm thankful for...

-The love and support of friends and family, especially during a difficult few months.

-Finishing the 14ers without any significant personal injuries, and now gaining the freedom of not chasing a list.

-Knowing at least a few people on this site with a sense of humor and the humility to laugh at themselves. Seriously. Relax, folks.

-The ability to interpret sarcasm without a pink font.

-My seven cats: Muffins, Mrs. Bojangles, Mr. Bojangles, Cameron Jerrell Newton (though he is more of a Panther LOLOLOLZ), Brian Thomas, Missy and Cuddles.

-ClifBar Fruit Ropes.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Next