Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Mt. Evans Ascent Sat, June 15, 2013

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Mt. Evans Ascent Sat, June 15, 2013

Postby DaveSwink » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:57 am

smoove wrote:Looks like I'll have to find a half somewhere....

Pikes Peak Ascent/Marathon registration will open in mid-March and I think it fills very quickly, so you want to have a qualifier in the bag before then if possible. There is the Rock Canyon Half in Pueblo on Dec 1, but if you are not going to be ready that soon, look at the Ralston Creek Half in Arvada on Feb 10 (I enjoyed it last year) or That Dam Half in Denver on Mar 3 (didn't like this one as much but I am sure a lot of folks did).

Postby smoove » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:47 pm

dswink wrote:
smoove wrote:Looks like I'll have to find a half somewhere....

look at the Ralston Creek Half in Arvada on Feb 10 (I enjoyed it last year)

Thanks! dehrlich101 suggested that one too. I'll probably give it a shot.

Postby mtgirl » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:04 pm

Andymcp1 wrote:Thanks for the correction, I'm not sure why may was stuck in my head for that one. I started wondering why my calander had the sign up after the race :-k .

No problem. Didn't want you missing out on a great race. I've done Imogene a few times, and it's better than the Pikes Peak Ascent in so many ways (easier to pass on wider jeep road, MUCH better scenery, cool towns on both ends......and hot springs !!).
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."

Postby Andymcp1 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:59 am

If I had to guess, I would say there will be no passing done by me on the trail, but it will help the self esteem of the other runners having me to pass!!

Postby griddles » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:53 pm

Hi I have a couple of questions about this race. First how much is the registration fee? I looked on the website and didn't see it even though it is probably there in big red letters.
And secondly my dad is interested in doing this race. He runs marathons in Iowa in about 4 hours. He has been up about 8 14ers here. Any comments as to if this is a good idea for him, or will he miss the cut off times? I talked to him yesterday and he seemed pretty confident of finishing, but was a little hesitant due to the altitude. Any first hand accounts would be helpful.

Thanks.

Postby I Man » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:03 pm

griddles wrote:Hi I have a couple of questions about this race. First how much is the registration fee? I looked on the website and didn't see it even though it is probably there in big red letters.
And secondly my dad is interested in doing this race. He runs marathons in Iowa in about 4 hours. He has been up about 8 14ers here. Any comments as to if this is a good idea for him, or will he miss the cut off times? I talked to him yesterday and he seemed pretty confident of finishing, but was a little hesitant due to the altitude. Any first hand accounts would be helpful.

The cutoff time is pretty generous in my opinion. It is 14.5 miles and gains 4,000ft (or less than 300' per mile). Last year the cutoff was 4.5 hours. A fit hiker (and if he runs marathons, I'd call that fit) should have no problem walking the entire thing and making the cutoff.

I was extremely nervous for last year, which was my first race, and I didn't get a chance to train at all. I finished below the cut off.

I paid $60 for the race last year and it was a great time.
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

"I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.

Postby smoove » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:15 pm

I Man wrote:
griddles wrote:Hi I have a couple of questions about this race. First how much is the registration fee? I looked on the website and didn't see it even though it is probably there in big red letters.

The cutoff time is pretty generous in my opinion. It is 14.5 miles and gains 4,000ft (or less than 300' per mile). Last year the cutoff was 4.5 hours. A fit hiker (and if he runs marathons, I'd call that fit) should have no problem walking the entire thing and making the cutoff.

I was extremely nervous for last year, which was my first race, and I didn't get a chance to train at all. I finished below the cut off.

I paid $60 for the race last year and it was a great time.

Worth mentioning that there's a 2.5 hour cutoff for the first 9 miles. I didn't train either and just did a run/walk mix for the first 9 miles. Wasn't too hard to beat the 2.5 hours that way. You could easily just walk the final 5.5 miles and finish under 4.5 hours as long as you make the initial cutoff with a little time to spare.

Postby Andymcp1 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:12 pm

As this will be my first long uphill run I am curious about training for it. For those of you who have experience, what do you reccomend for training. I am largley limited on time due to work and school, so most of my training will be at a gym and not on trails our outdoors. Do you have any advice on incline I should be comfortable running on? Will training on a stair stepper in addition to running be benificial? Will training with a weight vest for stregnth help?

Thank you!

Postby DaveSwink » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:18 pm

Andymcp1 wrote:As this will be my first long uphill run I am curious about training for it.

Set a treadmill to 15 degrees for a very reasonable workout for Mount Evans. The race is on paved roadway, so working out on trails is not necessary.

The biggest mistake I made was in not being thoroughly acclimatized. I plan to get to 14K a couple of times per week when approaching the race. Your schedule may not allow that, but try to get as high as possible as often as possible in the month before the race.

Postby siop » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:38 pm

Andymcp1 wrote: Will training with a weight vest for stregnth help? quote]

I don't recommend a weight vest while you're running. You risk sacrificing form which can lead to injury.
"because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing the lawn. climb that goddamn mountain" -jack kerouac

"here is your chance to find your own way. go on your own. be adventuresome. don't forever seek the easiest way. go the way you find. don't demand trail signs and sturdy bridges. don't demand we show you the mountains. see them and find them yourself. here's your chance to get lost, fall in the creek, find a beautiful place." -randy morgenson

Postby Andymcp1 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:47 pm

will the weight vest on something like a stair stepper be of value, where form is less easily lost?

Good point on getting up high, I never thought about that, but it makes alot of sense. Maybe I can work a few day high elevation caming trip in the week before or something!

Postby siop » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:57 pm

Andymcp1 wrote:will the weight vest on something like a stair stepper be of value, where form is less easily lost?

I've only trained with weight for hiking when I knew I would be carrying a pack. My personal opinion is you don't necessarily need to train with a weight vest, but I don't think it will hurt to train on a stair stepper with one either. Focus on altitude and incline and you'll rock it!
"because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing the lawn. climb that goddamn mountain" -jack kerouac

"here is your chance to find your own way. go on your own. be adventuresome. don't forever seek the easiest way. go the way you find. don't demand trail signs and sturdy bridges. don't demand we show you the mountains. see them and find them yourself. here's your chance to get lost, fall in the creek, find a beautiful place." -randy morgenson

PreviousNext