Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Cold Rockin'

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: Cold Rockin'

Postby Brian C » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:38 pm

I usually like carrying a small pack (unless it's too hard) or share one with my partner. I carry either a Nano-Puff (really good to climb in) or a MH Phantom depending on how cold it is. I have a pair of gloves the clip together that I simply hang on my "emergency" biner that live on my haul loop. I just take them off to climb and put them back on again soon as I'm at a belay. For hats, I have several of different thickness that I know will fit under my helmet. A merino wool Buff is a primo choice. Also, if you wear long underwear and a thicker top, your hands will be warmer when you climb.

If you get out in a variety of conditions in the winter you will figure out what works for you.

PS - Congratulations for being able to break into a new season, most people don't. Many of my most memorable climbs have been in winter.
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth

Postby pvnisher » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:46 pm

In addition to the fingerless gloves (esp with a slip-over mitten), insulating your wrists is a way to keep your hands warm. Lots of bloodflow right at the surface of your skin. You can get products (mainly intended for older folks or arthritis sufferers, but effective), or make your own. I don't use them all the time, but occassionally will bring a pair I made simply by cutting the cuff off an old pair of fleece socks. I mainly use them when playing sports in the fall, and they do a decent job of adding some warmth without restricting finger movement.
http://www.soundfeelings.com/heatbands.htm

And having multiple sets of gloves helps, too. The silicone-dipped ones from Home Depot climb pretty well, as do snug thin leather gloves. Carry one set of gloves you can climb in and a thicker set you can belay in.

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:46 pm

But really, it's hard to beat watching the bronc's when it's that cold... :-D

Postby Winter8000m » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:46 pm

pvnisher wrote:And having multiple sets of gloves helps, too.

So true. I usually carry 4 to 5 pairs of gloves with me. One lightweight waterproof bomb pair for wallowing in snow. One warm pair of belay mittens. One thin pair of leading gloves. (thin enough for mixed or being able to rock climb in) Bigger leading gloves for following and on ice and backup. One fleece pair for the approach and to wear underneath. I have a glove obsession. Any glove I see, I want to buy.
http://www.daring8000dreams.wordpress.com/

Life is too short to waste away

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." (Philippians 4:13)
"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight" (Proverbs 3:5-6)

Postby pvnisher » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:49 am

Winter8000m wrote:I usually carry 4 to 5 pairs of gloves with me.

You'll rarely find me without 3+ pairs of gloves in my pack.

As far as comfort-to-weight, gloves are primo. You can shiver through a cold day, but if your hands are wooden blocks you lose the will to continue. Of course, if you're shivering your hands will probably get cold...

Perhaps I should create a thread on "share your glove addiction". 8)

Postby MuchosPixels » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:37 am

Hi, today there are a lot of options on regards to clothing and gear!

I prefer clothes with a lot of stretch so my choice is almost always a soft-shell jacket with hood (I have used several from FA, OR and now use an Arcteryx Venta MX) and soft-shell pants, both must have a good bit of stretch and be reasonable durable. (Plenty of options available!) Underneath I use a capilene 3 (or Cap 2) pants and long sleeve. If its real cold I might use R1 tights and the R1 pullover. If its super cold I add the Arcteryx Atom LT hoody. For a Belay jacket I have the Atom SV.

Fit is really important so try stuff on.

To save some money new and used gear is available here at unreal prices, check often to see whats available : geartrade.com

Previous