Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Let's talk Nepal Evos

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Let's talk Nepal Evos

Postby herdbull » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:13 am

So the new boots came yesterday and they are pretty darn freakin nice! I guessed right on the size to allow enough room for a big sock, or a liner sock/hiking sock combo. I'll work that out as we dive into winter. This are some serious bootage :-D .

I'm assuming the tongue extenders should extend just slightly out of the boot? That appears to be where they sit when you put them in. Do you find you wear those or install those on most climbs? Do they actually help that much with air flow? Just curious if most people never put them in or always carry them along.

It appears I may need new crampons. The sole on this boot is very narrow and my current ones don't appear to make any contact on the heel and the metal "cage" of the crampon. What do you guys use for crampons and what works?

Re: Let's talk Nepal Evos

Postby kushrocks » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:50 am

I liked the Nepal Evos but do to the width of my foot I switched to the Scarpa Mont Blancs for a single boot. I love the Black Diamond Cyborg Crampons which fit both the Nevpal Evos and Mont Blancs (as well as many other mountaineering boots) very well. These crampons are super easy to put on and really solid with awesome front points for steep snow and ice climbs. Of course others might have a different opinion but I hope this helps you out.

http://www.rei.com/product/792589/black-diamond-cyborg-pro-step-in-crampons-with-abs-plates
Last edited by kushrocks on Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
" The two most important days in your life are the day you were born, and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
"Danger in Alpinism is just part of the game. As soon as you eliminate the danger you have just every other sport." Febrizio Zangrilli
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
"To travel, to experience and learn, that is to live" - Sherpa Tensing Norgay (first person to Summit Mt. Everest)
"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit" - Edward Abbey
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."

Postby TomPierce » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:14 am

I never used the tongue extenders, agree with you it's a great boot, very comfortable for me. BD Sabretooth crampons work well on Nepals (as do others). It's a good crampon for general mountaineering and easy ice climbing, not so good for steeper ice IMO.
-Tom

Postby Johnson » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:20 am

I only used my Nepals a few times but ended up using the extender. I kept is up rather high. My main reason was to provide additional material to keep my foot sliding forward in the boot without having to crank down on the laces so much. Everyone is different. Most of the other folks I talked to about this issue on the site don't use it. Experiment and you'll decide where or if to use it. Definitely simpler just to ditch it if you can.
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene

Postby herdbull » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:09 am

Good point about the crampons and the intended use. I definitely don't need something for ice climbing. Just a general hiking/mountaineering crampon will do. I'll look into the ones mentioned and put them on the list and maybe look to pick up a used pair.

My ankles do run a little on the smaller side so the extenders may be needed to help fill the gap once these broke in. Thanks for the tip Johnson. Now it's just a waiting game for the heavy snows to come.

Postby smoove » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:17 pm

I took the extenders out almost immediately. Found them very uncomfortable. But I've had no problems with cold feet on several winter hikes and a few times out ice climbing.

Postby atalarico » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:45 pm

I love my Nepals! I actually just got them replaced because there was a bubble in the toe-box. The material basically folded in and was pressing up against my big toe.

Anyway, short of yours being defective, I think you'll love them. I searched the interwebz high and low for beta on the tongue inserts, and really it's all about personal preference. You can put them anywhere you need to for taking up volume, increasing heel-hold, etc. Experiment. One neat thing I've done with mine is tie a knot in the lace right before the lace-lock mechanism. The lace-locks work decently, but sometimes they end up allowing the lower boot to tighten up as the upper boot is tightened.

Also, I'd wax them while they're still clean and new.

Postby MountainMedic » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:46 am

I love la Sportiva's stuff - I pretty much just wear Boulder X's and C-Lites for everything mountain. That said, I will be in the market for Nepals or Trangos in a few months, but thought I should just ask while the thread's up.

What are the pros and cons between the two boots? These would most likely be for winter 14ers, Rainier, and if my goals get lofty, Denali and similar stuff (which I assume would necessitate a burlier boot than even the Nepals). I have narrow feet attached to shitty ankles. Muchas gracias.

Postby DaveSwink » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:37 am

MountainMedic wrote:I will be in the market for Nepals or Trangos in a few months, but thought I should just ask while the thread's up.

What are the pros and cons between the two boots? These would most likely be for winter 14ers, Rainier, and if my goals get lofty, Denali and similar stuff (which I assume would necessitate a burlier boot than even the Nepals). I have narrow feet attached to shitty ankles. Muchas gracias.

I have both boots. The Trango S Evo seems a tad narrower at the toe, a bit lighter, has a stickier sole, less stiff shank and so hikes a bit easier, does not have a heel welt for crampons (think the Silver Bullet does), is less warm.

The Nepals have an awesomely roomy toe box for my D width foot, some insulation for added warmth, totally stiff sole which is great for crampon work and kicking snow steps, but less fun for hiking on rock/dirt, a super-cool mini-gaiter, and an amazing lacing system that keeps my heel in the heel pocket.

I regard the Trango as a 3-season boot and I am using trail-runners with light gaiters more often in fall/spring these days. In the winter, the Nepals are my go-to boot. I have developed a lot of confidence in them with crampons, on steep snow, on long snow hikes, etc. In snow, these boots lose their awkwardness and feel precise rather than clunky. They have kept my feet comfy in single digits. Nepal Evos rank with microspikes and R1 hoodys as my favorite gear.

BTW, there is just no need to pay the $500+ retail for Nepals. You can find barely used Nepals for $250 - 300 all summer long.

Regarding the creepy girly ankles, try not breaking them and maybe you can build them up. :lol:

Postby nkan02 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:04 pm

dswink wrote:
MountainMedic wrote:I will be in the market for Nepals or Trangos in a few months, but thought I should just ask while the thread's up.

I have both boots. The Trango S Evo seems a tad narrower at the toe, a bit lighter, has a stickier sole, less stiff shank and so hikes a bit easier, does not have a heel welt for crampons (think the Silver Bullet does), is less warm.

After trying on Nepals, I went with Trangos. I use them as my winter mountaineering boot in Colorado, and have also used it on 2 trips to Rainier (both in cold and warm weather conditions). I really like them. True, they may not be as warm as Nepal Evos, but if I keep moving, I find my toes generally do well. It becomes a problem if I start standing around for prolonged periods of time (I wore the boots for CMC classes last winter and it was a torture - they fit me really well and I don't have much room for toe warmers). The model I own has a heel welt and I love how they fit with my Grivel newmatic crampons. They are a great boot for spring couloirs (although they feel a bit too warm in June). Overall, an awesome, light, flexible boot that does great both on rock and snow and I am not looking to upgrade to a warmer/stiffer boot (such as Nepals) at this point.

Postby DaveSwink » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:50 pm

Natalie, are your Trangos silver or red or even the yellow ones (Trango Prime)? Looking at the La Sportiva site, the silver Trango Ext Evo is $100 more than the red Trango S Evo, but it has the same insulation as the Nepals. I have the red Trangos which seem noticeably colder than my Nepals.

Postby Theodore » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:57 pm

Just an FYI, there's a pair in the classifieds right now. 44's, $270.

Next