Machu Pichu, Inca Trail

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
larkinrx2
14ers: 35 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Machu Pichu, Inca Trail

Post by larkinrx2 »

Hey, ive searched the forums but was wondering a few questions,

1. do those that have still recommend SAS?
2. Ive seen posts mention the H-pichu and then other secondary summits in the area, howmany can still be climbed and which is best?
3. any recent reccomendations on hotel / food in Cuzco?

thanks
mike
What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - That's all I need the ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, and this magazine, and the chair and I don't need one other thing, except my dog.
[Shithead growls at him]
I don't need my dog.
Wyoming Bob
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 105 3
Trip Reports (53)

Re: Machu Pichu, Inca Trail

Post by Wyoming Bob »

I've got info on my site http://www.climbingwithbob.com as to Hotel Apu Huascaran, local food, shopping and our run up to MP. The Peru 2011 section has the info.

PM for details if need.
jsdratm
14ers: 24  2 
13ers: 40
Trip Reports (4)

Post by jsdratm »

I would recommend Machu Picchu Mountain instead of HP since it is much less crowded and free. To go up HP you have to queue up in a huge line and then swarm up the mountain with a crowd. MP Mountain has a higher elevation as well.

The other mountains in the area look a bit tough since they are covered in dense jungle. You would have very tough bushwhacking if you go off trail. It would be easier near the start of the Inca Trail since the climate is drier. I will also mention that we saw a coral snake on the trail, so there are potential hazards if you bushwhack around Machu Picchu.

I did the trek through REI and it was nice since we didn't have to rush through. Some groups go up Dead Womans Pass and then the next pass after that, which makes for a brutal day. If you do it in 4 days you have much better campsites and have more time to enjoy yourself.

In Cusco I stayed at the Rumi Punku Hostel, which is very nice and pretty reasonably priced (although you can definitely get cheaper rooms at the other hostels). They give you a continental breakfast in the morning and they have four computers in their business center. It is also very close to the stairs up to Sacsayhuaman so I was going up there for exercise.

BTW, I would recommend going to Cusco at least a few days earlier since there is a lot of stuff to see and do, plus it helps you acclimatize. The city is a lot of fun to explore and quite safe. You've got cathedrals, museums, and can always hike around the area if you get bored. I spent almost a week there solo before the trek started.
audiotom
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by audiotom »

If you want to see the real high andes look into a side trip flight to huarez. 10,000 city. Peaks 18-22,000' incredible
yrastorza
Trip Reports (4)

Post by yrastorza »

I did the Salkantay trail to M.P. with my son and had an awesome time. Its pricey, but no crowds, and you have great food and sleep in a bed. Feel free to PM me for any specfics.

http://www.rei.com/adventures/trips/latin/mlp.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Andreas
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Andreas »

We hiked a combination of Salkantay trek and Inca Trail last July. The first 2 days we went over the Salkantay Pass at 4,900 meters and then joined the "real" Inca trail for the last 3 days. I believe for the Salkantay Pass you need a guide and permit versus the Salkantay Trek mentioned earlier which can be done without permit. We stayed at in Cusco at Suenos Del Inca which is close to the center. There are many good restaurants around the Catedral. Booked the trip via Sun Gate Tours. Here is a link to my pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/my_trips/c ... 683797288/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CRAIGO
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (6)

Post by CRAIGO »

+1 on the Salkantay trail. Camp at the base of a 6000 meter peak, Santa Teresa hot springs, and no crowds.
jblyth
14ers: 58  5  15 
13ers: 145 8 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jblyth »

It's been over 10 years since I did this, but I really enjoyed the Salkantay trail too. I ended up taking this route because I didn't plan in advance (the Inca trail was booked) and just booked something when I arrived in Cusco, but it ended up working out very well. It was dirt cheap at that time, around $20 per day for 6 days. We didn't see another group the whole time, but from what I understand this route is very popular now.

It's a beautiful area, have fun.

PS - Try the Cuy, it's pretty tasty.
Billy the Kid
14ers: 52 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Billy the Kid »

Hey Mike,

My wife and I did the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu a few years ago. We used SAS and had a very good experience with them. You need to be careful when selecting a tour company, as they must ensure you get your permit to hike the trail. We were very pleased with SAS and also recommended them to a friend of ours, who did the Inca Trail last year. He also had a good experience with them. We also booked a Lake Titicaca tour and Colca Canyon trek with them!

In Cusco, we stayed at the hotel below. It was modest and nice, and we were very pleased. Their rates were very affordable and they are located only a few blocks from the main square in Cusco:

http://www.amaruhostal.com/index_ingles.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As for food, one place I would recommend is Jack's cafe. We ate there a few times and were very happy. See below:

http://jackscafecusco.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, make sure you check out the world's highest Irish pub (Paddy's Irish Pub)...another place we enjoyed very much!

http://www.paddysirishbarcusco.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope you have a blast!
"Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So, be on your way."- Dr. Seuss
"I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious."- Michael Scott
Crusty
14ers: 55 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Crusty »

As long as you're at Macho Pica, you might as well check out the Nascar lines.