Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Denver Happy Hour (November)

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Re: Denver Happy Hour (November)

Postby Matt » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:55 am

These are getting better and better. Great time!
Thanks for organizing, Jeff, Mandy, and Carl.
Another huge shout goes out to Cookiehiker. The chocolate-covered bacon was amazing.

SurfNTurf wrote:Next month's will indeed be at Falling Rock.

I would like to throw out the idea of having these things on Friday during the winter months, when getting up at the ass-crack of dawn on Saturday isn't mandatory.
This will allow people who have to work early Friday morning or those who drive several hundred miles to attend, a chance to let loose a little more, stay a little longer.

I am sure Mr. Kansas agrees.
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List

Postby kansas » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:01 am

Matt wrote:I would like to throw out the idea of having these things on Friday during the winter months, when getting up at the ass-crack of dawn on Saturday isn't mandatory.
This will allow people who have to work early Friday morning or those who drive several hundred miles to attend, a chance to let loose a little more, stay a little longer.

I couldn't agree more. Thanks, Matt.
"In the end, of course, it changed almost nothing. But I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams."
— Jon Krakauer

Postby KatieFinn » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:04 am

SurfNTurf wrote:Next month's will indeed be at Falling Rock.

When? Dec 6th? Likely, I will want to (need to) take Friday off... :-k

matt wrote:I would like to throw out the idea of having these things on Friday during the winter months, when getting up at the ass-crack of dawn on Saturday isn't mandatory.

Matt, sorry, I do not understand... :)

Postby I Man » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:07 am

kansas wrote:
Matt wrote:I would like to throw out the idea of having these things on Friday during the winter months, when getting up at the ass-crack of dawn on Saturday isn't mandatory.

Not all of us are as lazy as Kansas & Matt :-D
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

"I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.

Postby nkan02 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:11 am

kansas wrote:

I can't agree more either. As is, Thursdays never really work for me.

Postby kansas » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:16 am

KatieFinn wrote:Matt, sorry, I do not understand... :)

Kate, I thought we had something special.
"In the end, of course, it changed almost nothing. But I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams."
— Jon Krakauer

Postby USAKeller » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:34 am

Matt wrote:These are getting better and better. Great time!
Thanks for organizing, Jeff, Mandy, and Carl.

SurfNTurf wrote:I deserve absolutely none of the credit. That goes to Carl and Mandy, as well as the donors (Wilderness Exchange and Eddie Bauer Park Meadows).

I agree - great time last night albeit in a strange place. These HH's are a lot of fun! And a big thanks to the above donors, and Mandy, Carl, and Jeff for organizing. It's always nice to raise money for a good cause!
How long after arriving at someone's house is it appropriate to ask for the WiFi password?

Postby SurfNTurf » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:38 am

It's a good suggestion, and we can talk it over (maybe a poll?), but my concerns are thus:

1. These things work best when we take over and have a bar to ourselves. That's much harder to do on a Friday night.
2. A lot of people still do hike -- or ski -- on winter weekends.
3. The whole point of having these on Thursday is limiting the amount of times kansas can show up. That guy's bad news.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Postby Carl » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:02 pm

It was a great time last night. Mandy did a fantastic job of making all of us buy raffle tickets! Thanks for supporting Friends of Berthoud Pass. While it was certainly a success, to answer a few questions I got last night, no I don't think the raffle to support FOBP will be a regular monthly thing. I don't want to lean too much on our sponsors or you guys. We've got a lot of FOBP events going on right now and we'll look forward to seeing many of you there. The next free avy class is at Bent Gate on Nov. 15th. Starts at 7:30pm. Check out our website in my signature for all of our events.

Postby MonGoose » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:06 pm

It was another very successful happy hour last night. Great job by Carl and Mandy to raise money for Friends of Berthoud Pass. I think there is a lot of potential to continue fundraising for various organizations as well as soliciting sponsors for merchandising at our events.

I enjoyed seeing everyone last night.

Postby Pennacle » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:28 pm

I just went to the free FOBP avy class in Denver recently and will vouch for its quality. It's a very informative intro and could serve as a good refresher... and FREE.

(Bring a few bucks cash to donate if you enjoy it.)

Postby semitrueskerm » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:29 pm

kansas wrote:

If we get one on a Friday night, I'd take a half day and drive up from NM.... I would have to crash on someone's couch, if it wouldn't be imposing. I could also rightfully claim my now beaten and battered 14ers Dance Off trophy. [-X [-X [-X

PreviousNext