Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Bibs - Aconcagua

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Bibs - Aconcagua

Postby ThnkSno » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:43 pm

I'm increasing my mountain climbing and backcountry trips and I'm considering getting bibs this year for Aconcagua. BUT....they're pretty pricey along with all the other/new gear needed for the trip. Thoughts?

Re: Bibs - Aconcagua

Postby Dave B » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:19 pm

Bibs are unnecessary in my opinion, a good pair of soft shell pants with a pair of light weight full zip rain pants to put over them if needed.
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Postby MuchosPixels » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:25 pm

Bibs are great for deep powder skiing and also ice climbing but for a hike and a mixed climb might be overkill. But they offer awesome protection from the elements and more warmth since there will be a huge overlap with your jacket so cold air doesnt get into the gaps easily. If its very windy thats an advantage. Some people like em some don't I guess it depends on how a particular model fits you and how comfy you feel in em. I for one prefer pants with quite a bit of stretch.

Postby dfrizzle » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:35 pm

my 2 cents:

Snagged the Stoic Bombshell Bibs off of Backcountry earlier this fall when they were on sale. They're well reviewed and come in at a reasonable price if you can find them on sale. Click the backcountry link from 14ers and give this site a little kickback too! You might also try geartrade for the same bibs...
One foot in and one foot back, but it don't pay to live like that.
So I cut the ties and I jumped the tracks, for never to return.

Postby Gabriel » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:39 am

On Aconcagua my lower body layers were nylon hiking pants over bare legs to Nido camp. Summit day was from Nido and I started out with lightweight longies/heavyweight longies and Marmot precip pants. The heavyweight longies came off after about 30 minutes and I got to the top in just the lightweight longies and precip pants. Bibs are probably not practical for Aconcagua.

G

Postby ed20320 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:06 am

I fully agree that Bibs are not needed for Aconcagua. my summit day was unfortunately -10 F, snowing and 30 MPH winds and my gortex pants/down liners were perfect for me. since your only climbing with an axe, they are overkill and you would probably roast to death at the lower elevations.

Good Luck.

Ed
In the immortal words of Socrates, “I drank WHAT?”