What are you reading?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Re: What are you reading?

Post by pvnisher »

Going back through the classics I somehow missed when I was younger.

Catch-22: Like "Office Space" set in WW2. I had no idea it was so hilarious.
Brave New World
Fahrenheit 451
Ulysses
The Metamorphosis by Kafka

I guess they're a little heavy on dystopian futures, but I see why they are classics.
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

pvnisher wrote:Catch-22: Like "Office Space" set in WW2. I had no idea it was so hilarious.
Best book ever written.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
MountainMedic
14ers: 58  3  1 
13ers: 18
Trip Reports (3)

Post by MountainMedic »

This is a great thread - added quite a few to my list. Time away from the mountains means time with books, so I've actually been able to read a bit. Just finished these two:

A Happy Death by Albert Camus. This is a semiautobiographical book about a dude who kills someone in cold blood for his money and then galavants around Europe trying to find happiness. It blew my mind and is a must-read for any amateur philosophizers out there.

Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer. Is an explanation needed? Can't believe it took me this long to read it.

Next up: Something epic. Either The Satanic Verses or Infinite Jest.
leggaj5
14ers: 45  5 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by leggaj5 »

The Civil War: A Narrative - Shelby Foote
dmccool
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dmccool »

leggaj5 wrote:The Civil War: A Narrative - Shelby Foote
That's what I'm talkin' about.
Save a place for me up in the high country.
There's still space to breathe.

- Gregory Alan Isakov
scalba123
14ers: 9 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by scalba123 »

leggaj5 wrote:The Civil War: A Narrative - Shelby Foote
Great read!!!
wooderson
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 324 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by wooderson »

MountainMedic wrote: Next up: Something epic. Either The Satanic Verses or Infinite Jest.
Highly recommend the latter... get yourself two bookmarks. :wink:

I actually just finished a book-length interview w/ DFW called "Although of Course You End Up Becoming Yourself." Good stuff. Lots of interesting little tidbits about his life.
zoriloco
14ers: 18  1 
Trip Reports (16)

Post by zoriloco »

I just got me a 6 months old German Shepard Mix pup and im reading Cesar Way by Cesar Millan. Describes dog behavior and how to deal with common dog problems. Im really enjoying it.
MountainMedic
14ers: 58  3  1 
13ers: 18
Trip Reports (3)

Post by MountainMedic »

Thought I might put in a plug for Wilderness Medicine, 6th ed by John Auerbach. I've had it in PDF for a few months and recently ponied up for the hard copy. Trying to make it through a chapter every 2-3 days (they're quite dense). It's for the medically inclined, but includes great explanations on AMS/HAPE/HACE, reduction of dislocations, suturing, some fun drugs, hypothermia, etc.
Mindy
14ers: 14 
13ers: 25 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mindy »

1) Mountain Heroes - Portraits of Adventure by Huw Lewis-Jones. Really enjoying this one. If you like short stories and excellant photography, this one is for you. Someone should do something similar for our Local Mountain Heroes.......
51OwfaVZd5L._SL500_AA300_[1].jpg
51OwfaVZd5L._SL500_AA300_[1].jpg (18.73 KiB) Viewed 2329 times
2) Climbing Dictionary by Matt Samet. Good to have on hand for a “newbie” like me.
51d3-gw3DML._SL160_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-dp,TopRight,12,-18_SH30_OU01_AA160_[1].jpg
51d3-gw3DML._SL160_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-dp,TopRight,12,-18_SH30_OU01_AA160_[1].jpg (6.52 KiB) Viewed 2329 times
3) Walking by Thoreau. This one speaks for itself.
4176ElvrHQL._AA160_[1].jpg
4176ElvrHQL._AA160_[1].jpg (7.75 KiB) Viewed 2329 times
reinselc
14ers: 36 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by reinselc »

Team of Rivals, about Abraham Lincoln's political career by Doris Kearns Goodwin.

FASCINATING Stuff you didn't know about Lincoln and the men that served in his cabinet. Great for history buffs or leadership or just for a few funny stories. Would you believe Lincoln told dirty jokes? Frequently? Great read!
pills2619
14ers: 14 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pills2619 »

FAR/AIM(Federal Aviation Regulations and Aeronautical Information Manual)!!! only dry for the first 1000 pages
They forget that some crisis is necessary to hone skill. "Near misses," those brief encounters with the reality of mortality, are great learning tools if properly approached. -Denali Climbers Guidebook