Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Looking for a jacket...

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Looking for a jacket...

Postby albmanizan » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:35 pm

On a budget, hoping to get one that'll be warm enough to last throughout the winter on a few climbs. I'm looking to keep it under $200. Anybody have any suggestions?

Re: Looking for a jacket...

Postby oldschool » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:56 pm

Last winter I spent a lot of time researching a new jacket.....lots out there. I eventually bought a Columbia Lhotse. I know...Columbia, but I have been nothing but impressed. Check it out.

Postby JB99 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:17 pm

Is there a particular layer you're looking for? It sort of sounds like you are looking for one jacket to do it all, generally people layer several jackets for warmth and versatility.

Postby MuchosPixels » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:31 am

Hi! I concur with the last post that you need to be more specific about what type of jacket you are looking for.

Generally for winter when hiking with a pack on you need the following layers: Baselayer longsleeve top (can be 1/4 zip), Midlayer jacket or pullover (can be fleece), Shell or Softshell jacket and an Insulated Down or Synthetic Jacket (for use during stops).

A combination of all those layers is all it takes to handle most any condition.

As far as where to find deals? I have used geartrade.com to find awesome deals.

Postby Cruiser » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:30 am

Maybe you could try to track down a good deal on one of the component type jackets. They usually have a fairly lightweight waterproof shell jacket that is paired with an insulated inner jacket. They can be zipped together and worn as one big jacket on cold, snowy, or windy days or taken apart and worn separately on more mild days. I have this great old North Face parka with a lightweight synthetic insulated jacket that zips and snaps into it. Although it's mostly in retirement now I still break it out occasionally on chilly days and it still impresses me with it's weight and versatility.

Try following the link on the 14ers.com homepage over to Sierra Trading Post to see what they have in stock. Usually you can dig up a 35% off code to help their already discounted stuff get even more affordable.
Where ever you are... There you are.