Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Denali Sleeping Bag

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: Denali Sleeping Bag

Postby jbchalk » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:28 am

I sleep a bit cold as well and was certainly glad to have my -40 Marmot Cwm on the Big D. Rather me a bit warm than shivering all night. Plus, if you do other big stuff and/or winter camping here in CO, you could use it then as well.

Postby ed20320 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:51 am

It sounds like the majority says -20 and i would agree with that. I actually took a -15 degree bag when i did Mckinley in 2003 and I did just fine. keep in mind the tent should give you about 10 degrees and a high R value pad will only add to your comfort. I currently have a Feathered Friends -20 degree bag and i use an Exped down 7 mat (R value of 5.7). This combo was more than adequate for Aconcagua and i'll bring it next april for my return trip to McKinley.

Good Luck.

Ed
In the immortal words of Socrates, “I drank WHAT?”

Postby ThnkSno » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:35 pm

Good information. If you don't mind I wouldn't mind tagging on a different mountain. What would everyone's recommendations be for Aconcagua? I'm thinking -20 which seems to be the common theme. I'll be in a double wall with 2 pads and tend to sleep a little cold.

Thanks.

Postby jbchalk » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:01 pm

I'd go with at least a 0 degree bag for Aconcagua. I had my old Marmot Aiguille -5 deg down bag last time and I was chilly at 19,200' for the 3 nights I was up there.

Postby mtnreed » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:32 pm

So far, no one has mentioned Feathered Friends. Custom bags worth the weight in gold - best bag around (imho)..Anyway, always can be sold if needed.
I have the FF bag, and have sent it back to be re-filled after 18 yrs of use. Its like new. You can add options as 850+ fill, gore-tex or whatever.

It has been to Denali and back again. Used it on CO alpine winter trips, Rainier winter and the like..

Just my .02

(just saw that ed20320 wrote about FF)...
“Life should not be a journey to the grave..arriving safely..totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride !!!

Previous