What are you reading?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Point North
Trip Reports (0)

Re: What are you reading?

Post by Point North »

J-RockandRockpile wrote:On a side note half way through Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.... very cerebral.
I loved that book. The professor will expound.

And -- Are you teaching quality today?
metalmountain
14ers: 42  1  2 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (1)

Post by metalmountain »

"Blood Meridian or the Evening Redness in the West" by Cormac McCarthy is an awesome read I am working through. McCarthy's writing style is awesome, and it makes you slow down and really read the story. He is up there with Faulkner and Kafka for me as favorite authors now I believe.
"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem
Gareth
14ers: 25 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Gareth »

"Most people never run far enough on their first wind to find out they've got a second."
- William James
wooderson
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 324 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by wooderson »

metalmountain wrote:"Blood Meridian or the Evening Redness in the West" by Cormac McCarthy is an awesome read I am working through. McCarthy's writing style is awesome, and it makes you slow down and really read the story. He is up there with Faulkner and Kafka for me as favorite authors now I believe.
That's a great read... once you get used to all the scalpings. Kinda made me sick after a while. But I also really enjoy McCarthy's style.

Speaking of which, I stumbled on this a while ago... "Yelping with Cormac" (i.e., faux Yelp reviews in the style of McCarthy): http://yelpingwithcormac.tumblr.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SurfNTurf
14ers: 58  28 
13ers: 127 7
Trip Reports (48)

Post by SurfNTurf »

Just finished a couple books I picked up from the library a few weeks ago:

No Way Down: Life and Death on K2, by Graham Bowley -- Basically Into Thin Air-lite about the 2008 disaster on K2 that killed 11 climbers. Bowley is a non-climber journalist who wasn't on the mountain, and he doesn't make any judgments or point out any lessons the way Krakauer did. It's compelling, well written and extensively researched, but it lacks the "oomph" power of Into Thin Air.

Beyond the Mountain, by Steve House -- Climbing autobiography by one of the greatest American climbers in history. It's a fascinating read, though House is extremely opinionated about ethics.

Now I'm starting Kiss or Kill: Confessions of a Serial Climber, by Mark Twight.

Blood Meridian and The Snow Leopard are both awesome. Among my all-time favorites, and I'm an English nerd. It's been a few years for both...about time for a re-read...
“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper
VagabondSurveyor
14ers: 6 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by VagabondSurveyor »

Zenn wrote:Currently reading "Shantaram" by Gregory David Roberts: So very good.

Other good reads:
Ishamael
The Story of B
Deep Survival: Who lives, who dies and why (awesome)
Tao Te Ching
365 Taoist Meditations (awesome)
Colorado (14er) Disasters
and at random, the DSM IV
I am reading Shantaram as well. Completely agree. Could be my favorite book ever.
Point North
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Point North »

wooderson wrote:That's a great read... once you get used to all the scalpings.
If you like scalpings, take a read on:

Lakota Noon: The Indian Narrative of Custer's Defeat, by Gregory F. Michno.

http://www.amazon.com/Lakota-Noon-India ... akota+Noon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is a book of first-hand Indian accounts of the battle known as Custer's Last Stand. Several Indians tell of taking scalps, of "counting coup," and other war stories. One 14-year-old warrior recounted scalping a soldier who was wounded but still alive. He had to saw the scalp off, which he did as quickly as he could while the soldier gritted his teeth in appreciation, then took the scalp home to show his mother.
Trail Doc
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Trail Doc »

An awesome adventure story of dogs versus airplanes in a race to save hundreds of lives.
Dogs win.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Cruelest-Mile ... lest+miles" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If I wanted a sport with rules, I'd be playing golf.
valleygirl
14ers: 42 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by valleygirl »

"Wild" by Cheryl Strayed. Could not put it down, and I was so sorry it had to end!
But I still haven't found what I'm looking for.
Matt
14ers: 58 
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Matt »

"Yelping with Cormac" (i.e., faux Yelp reviews in the style of McCarthy): http://yelpingwithcormac.tumblr.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wow, I ran across this one too, last November.
It's hilarious! Thanks for the reminder, as I had forgotten about it.
Small world...
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List
metalmountain
14ers: 42  1  2 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (1)

Post by metalmountain »

Matt wrote:
"Yelping with Cormac" (i.e., faux Yelp reviews in the style of McCarthy): http://yelpingwithcormac.tumblr.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wow, I ran across this one too, last November.
It's hilarious! Thanks for the reminder, as I had forgotten about it.
Small world...
Holy crap, thanks Wooderson. That is awesome!
"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem
MtnHub
14ers: 28 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (50)

Post by MtnHub »

Anyone out there in CO seen any of these popping up?

http://www.littlefreelibrary.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They are starting to sprout up here in IC. Really cool idea! My wife and I have seen similar free exchanges in various coffee houses, motels, etc occasionally when we're traveling or on vacation. Great idea to recycle books that way! :-D