Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

How to Prevent Chafing?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: How to Prevent Chafing?

Postby J-RockandRockpile » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:25 pm

pbakwin wrote:
colokeith wrote:
pbakwin wrote:Chafing & blisters are usually the result of dehydration. First make sure you are staying well hydrated.

I would disagree. Chafing and blisters are primarily caused by friction (improper clothes, bunches in socks, ill fitting shoes). Sweat / moisture is the second major component.

Dehydrated skin may contribute, but it has to be way down the list, and is probably due to needing to use a moisturizer, not drinking more water.

Do you have a source or any scientific backing for why you think deydration is the primary cause of blisters and chafing? Not trying to start an argument and jack the thread I have just never heard this claim.

No proof, just thousands of hours of personal experience & that related by others. This is well
known in the ultrarunning community. Yes, poor fit, bad fabrics, sweat & humidity, grime, etc.,
are all factors, but if the elasticity of your skin is compromised by dehydration you are much
more likely to have problems. Countless times I've started to feel chafing or a hot-spot, boosted
my hydration, and the problem went away with no other action taken.

So how would this account for chaffing in just 1 particular spot? i.e. I speculate that has to do with my fat thighs (sorry for the visual) rubbing against one another and nothing more. Otherwise I don't really suffer from this issue.
I have been to the top of the mountain, and it is good

Postby Taillon75 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:23 pm

Lube! And lots of it!

Postby pbakwin » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:42 pm

[quoteJSo how would this account for chaffing in just 1 particular spot? i.e. I speculate that has to do with my fat thighs (sorry for the visual) rubbing against one another and nothing more. Otherwise I don't really suffer from this issue.[/quote]

You will get chafing first where the other factors are in play. I'm not suggesting that dehydration is the only factor, just that it is an important factor & one that is often overlooked, and also often easy to correct.

Postby ChrisRoberts » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:02 pm

I know the OP already mentioned he was wearing them, but for anyone else with similar questions, compression shorts have been great for chafing on the inner thighs for me.
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
Read all about my schemes and adventuring at NoCo Chris Latest TR: Laramie-Poudre Tunnel and UN 10060

Postby ThuChad » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:09 pm

Another vote for compression / 2-in-1 shorts.

Postby jmc5040 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:37 pm

For much of the summer I was the victim of chafing. I recently purchased a pair of First Ascent Mountain Guide pants for the winter season and started testing them out within the past month. These pants are "made with an amazing Schoeller® fabric that has a 3XDry®" and I'm going to agree with this. I've worn these during warmish conditions where I was sweating and did not experience chafing where with my normal hiking pants that did not ventilate as well I'd be walking like I just road a horse. I think breath-ability and ventilation of the fabric play a large factor as well.
"My senses become heightened and the stresses of life fade with each step I take further from civilization. When I'm in the wilderness my brain and body work seamlessly together to do their finest work - a single flowing track down one of natures high peaks." - Jeremy Jones

Postby cheeseburglar » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:22 pm

Cold hard nipples will chafe.
I usually use what I have on hand for nipples and the crotch. Sunblock does the trick for me. In a pinch, I've also used chapstick with good results.
Any kind of lotion seems to work for me. If you just need different undypants, get different undypants.
I'm not sure what the body glide stuff is, but I'm not convinced it's much different than sunblock or any other lotion.
Of course, I am not a serious endurance athlete and might not face the same chafing issues they do.
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes

Postby tommyboy360 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:19 am

Last edited by tommyboy360 on Tue May 28, 2013 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
“It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Postby Vincopotamus » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:32 am

I have a healthy mat of of chest hair and have never had problems with nipple chafing. So maybe all you weirdos should just stop shaving your nipple hair and you won't have a problem? ](*,)
Because I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me!

Postby elhombre » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:52 am

The best and less expensive solution I have found is using stick deoderant on your parts. Saw this idea in a rode bike magazine and it actually works well for those long rides. I personally prefer "Old Spice". For the ladies. 8)
“I will tell you these are ammunition, they’re bullets, so the people who have those know they’re going to shoot them, so if you ban them in the future, the number of these high capacity magazines is going to decrease dramatically over time because the bullets will have been shot and there won’t be any more available.” Democratic Rep. Diana DeGette of Colorado, leading congressional sponsor of a federal ban on high-capacity magazines.

Previous