Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

I have a woody!!!!

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

I have a woody!!!!

Postby its_not_a_tuba » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:52 pm

Finally, after what has seemed like a never ending planning / budgeting process I finally got around to building a home climbing wall aka a woody in my garage. It is about 95% complete with Phase I at this point (still have lots of holds to bolt on and I am adding top rope anchors to the ceiling) but I am really pleased with how well it turned out - I thought some of you might enjoy some photos of the construction process, (FYI the rings in the photos are part of our home Crossfit gym that we installed last spring):

header.JPG
Vertical wall sleepers and angled wall 2x10 end plates installed. Note the string tied to the hangers that I used to determine cut angles.
header.JPG (106.46 KiB) Viewed 1631 times

framed.JPG
Framing mostly done. Cutting the angled 2x10s was super stressful. I rechecked the measurements about a dozen times before I got the nerve to cut the first one. Came out perfect though.
framed.JPG (115.96 KiB) Viewed 1631 times

Blocking.JPG
With the blocking in the framing here is complete
Blocking.JPG (122.87 KiB) Viewed 1631 times

More to follow...
Last edited by its_not_a_tuba on Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Wilderness settles peace on the soul because it needs no help. It is beyond human contrivance." -- E.O. Wilson

Re: I have a woody!!!!

Postby its_not_a_tuba » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:56 pm

first panels.JPG
First panels going on, of course we couldn’t wait to bolt on a few holds
first panels.JPG (91.51 KiB) Viewed 1617 times

first routes.JPG
All the panels on with the first round of holds bolted on
first routes.JPG (134.94 KiB) Viewed 1617 times

holds.JPG
Wall as it is now, so far there are 7 established routes. I have discovered that the process of bolting holds and setting routes is about as much work as building the whole structure itself, a lot more fun though.
holds.JPG (101.6 KiB) Viewed 1617 times

Stats:
Wall Height – 13’
Overhang Angle - ~25 degrees
Final number of holds – ~ 400

Phase II will involve another section to the left of the existing wall where you can see a squat rack now and panels / holds on the ceiling.

Anyone else out there have home gyms they’d like to share photos of?
"Wilderness settles peace on the soul because it needs no help. It is beyond human contrivance." -- E.O. Wilson

Postby bergsteigen » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:10 pm

Nice!!! I've always wanted to do this! Though I don't think my garage is tall enough...
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."
- Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)

http://otinasadventures.com

Postby Johnson » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:11 pm

I wish I had a woody.... :cry:
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene

Postby mrmuffins00 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:37 pm

I used to have one running up my parents chimney when i was younger, its alot of fun. Though it was a little skinny.

Postby ameristrat » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:49 pm

I got a woody looking at that... :-D
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal

Postby its_not_a_tuba » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:02 pm

Here is the main reason we built this, our daughter checking out the first route we set up, Anna's Red Ladder.

Anna.JPG
Anna.JPG (121.16 KiB) Viewed 1365 times

Postby mtgirl » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:58 pm

Now that's a woody to be proud of ! \:D/
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."

Postby sunny1 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:13 pm

I have woody envy. :mrgreen:
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.

Postby JDip » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:00 pm

I don't even have an address right now. I travel full time. But that is freekin sweet my friend! Congrats! When I'm done traveling and saving, I want to buy a house and make a bouldering room! Inspiring! =D> =D> =D>
I want to know the thoughts of God. All the rest are details. -Albert Einstein

It's not the height of the mountain that makes it great, it is the mountain itself. -J.D.

Postby Carl » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:01 pm

its_not_a_tuba wrote:Anyone else out there have home gyms they’d like to share photos of?

That's a good looking woody. Here's a shot of my wife enjoying mine.

Postby TallGrass » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:46 pm

its_not_a_tuba wrote:Here is the main reason we built this, our daughter checking out the first route we set up, Anna's Red Ladder.

And the crash pad is . . .
?
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Next