Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

How to Prevent Chafing?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

How to Prevent Chafing?

Postby Andymcp1 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:23 pm

I need some advice from you dudes on how to prevent chafing on long hikes and runs? It seems even when using compression shorts/ tights my thighs get chaffed from the friction. Is there anyone else who has had this problem and found a good solution?
Any advice would help, as I am sick of doing the penguin walk back to my car after a long day!

Re: How to Prevent Chafing?

Postby BenfromtheEast » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:38 pm

Gold Bond powder. Reapply as needed. They even make a mini bottle. It's like a thousand tiny angels dancing on your you-know-what. Green bottle is Five Thousand Angel Power.

Postby colokeith » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:41 pm

I use body glide on my nips and thighs on long runs (soo sexy right). seems to work well
To climb is to push yourself in a way you might not normally imagine is possible. If your stamina, skill, and luck are sound you will get to stand on top. ... I realized that with climbing, I'd found something that nourished my soul and could forge me into a better version myself - Jim Davidson

Postby pbakwin » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:55 pm

Chafing & blisters are usually the result of dehydration. First make sure you are staying well hydrated.

Postby SummitKathy » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:59 pm

I usually only experience this in triathlons (from wetsuit). I find body glide works really well for me.
“Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves.”-John Muir

Postby colokeith » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:05 pm

pbakwin wrote:Chafing & blisters are usually the result of dehydration. First make sure you are staying well hydrated.

I would disagree. Chafing and blisters are primarily caused by friction (improper clothes, bunches in socks, ill fitting shoes). Sweat / moisture is the second major component.

Dehydrated skin may contribute, but it has to be way down the list, and is probably due to needing to use a moisturizer, not drinking more water.

Do you have a source or any scientific backing for why you think deydration is the primary cause of blisters and chafing? Not trying to start an argument and jack the thread I have just never heard this claim.
To climb is to push yourself in a way you might not normally imagine is possible. If your stamina, skill, and luck are sound you will get to stand on top. ... I realized that with climbing, I'd found something that nourished my soul and could forge me into a better version myself - Jim Davidson

Postby Derek » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:08 pm

colokeith wrote:I use body glide on my nips and thighs on long runs (soo sexy right). seems to work well

I love my body glide. Works nicely.
"All dolled up in gabardine..."

Postby J-RockandRockpile » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:21 pm

+1 million for Body Glide. Gave it a shot once and haven't looked back since. I believe its is $6-8 at REI. Comes in a package similar to that of a little deodorant stick. Money well spent.
I have been to the top of the mountain, and it is good

Postby Andymcp1 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:54 pm

I will have to check out body glide. Thanks for the advice!
I have to agree with Keith that chafing/ blisters are caused primarily by friction and not dehydration. Granted if one is truly dehydrated and exercising the skin my loose some of its blood flow causing expedited breakdown. However, I feel the cause in general is by having moist/ wet clothes rubbing on the skin for a prolonged period of time.

Postby DaveSwink » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:46 pm

I have not experienced chafing while running/hiking but for some reason snowshoeing and especially X country skiing caused serious problems. Body Glide was the fix for me. It now sits with my ski gear in the closet, awaiting snow.

Postby geojed » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:47 pm

Compression shorts have always worked for me. Never needed to go the Body Glide route. I did try Body Glide on my nips once (for workouts) but it stained my workout shirt, and the stain never came out! :wft: #-o Had to throw that shirt away....
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
• The best climber in the world is the one who’s having the most fun.— Alex Lowe
• Why do I climb the mountain? Because I'm in love! — The Captain

Postby pbakwin » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:11 pm

colokeith wrote:
pbakwin wrote:Chafing & blisters are usually the result of dehydration. First make sure you are staying well hydrated.

I would disagree. Chafing and blisters are primarily caused by friction (improper clothes, bunches in socks, ill fitting shoes). Sweat / moisture is the second major component.

Dehydrated skin may contribute, but it has to be way down the list, and is probably due to needing to use a moisturizer, not drinking more water.

Do you have a source or any scientific backing for why you think deydration is the primary cause of blisters and chafing? Not trying to start an argument and jack the thread I have just never heard this claim.

No proof, just thousands of hours of personal experience & that related by others. This is well
known in the ultrarunning community. Yes, poor fit, bad fabrics, sweat & humidity, grime, etc.,
are all factors, but if the elasticity of your skin is compromised by dehydration you are much
more likely to have problems. Countless times I've started to feel chafing or a hot-spot, boosted
my hydration, and the problem went away with no other action taken.

Next