Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Three names for one Peak?

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Three names for one Peak?

Postby semitrueskerm » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:04 am

Okay, I've researched this mountain after I saw it from the summit of Missouri last weekend.

I have found it to be either...or all of these names:

Silver King Peak
Magdalene Mountain
UN 13,762

Does anyone know which name it "technically" is?
What is the history of this confusion?

Just curious.

Re: Three names for one Peak?

Postby geojed » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:19 am

It doesn't have an "official" name. Just unofficial ones. Roach and 13ers.com call it Magdalene with an AKA "Silver King Peak". LOJ calls it both names. http://www.listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/Climbers.php?Id=145

On the NE side of the mountain was the Silver King Mine. On the East side was the Magdalene Mine.
Attachments
11-6-2012 9-17-42 AM.jpg
11-6-2012 9-17-42 AM.jpg (226.31 KiB) Viewed 508 times
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
• The best climber in the world is the one who’s having the most fun.— Alex Lowe
• Why do I climb the mountain? Because I'm in love! — The Captain

Postby Scott P » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:00 pm

It's very common to have un-named peaks go by several names.

It's also somewhat common to have peaks have more than one official name, which makes it even more confusing. Sometimes different scale USGS maps and Forest Service maps use different names for peaks. There are many with two names.

Some even have three. Between the Forest Service Maps and different scale USGS maps, Marys Nipple, Mollies Nipple and Musina Peak (in Utah) are all the same peak.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Postby Chicago Transplant » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:14 pm

Yep, officially PT 13762 has no name, some call it "Magdalene" and some "Silver King".

If you are interested in route information, the shortest way is probably via Clohesy Lake, take the Pear Lake Trail to the pass, start like you are going up Emerald but leave the ridge on the way up Emerald and traverse a talus field around 12700 to a low point in the connecting ridge (kind of loose). Then you wrap around to Silver King Lake and up the ridge in your photo (north ridge on map) to the top. Probably the best route for a day trip. Alt would be run the connecting ridge from that low point, but I think its more elevation gain that way due to false summits.

On the topic of multiple names, I have also seen several peaks that have a named Benchmark that does not match the USGS Peak Name. For example, Twining Peak above Indy Pass is also Blue BM.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day

Postby Scott P » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:21 pm

I have also seen several peaks that have a named Benchmark that does not match the USGS Peak Name.

Like this one:

I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Postby semitrueskerm » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:42 pm

Scott P wrote:
I have also seen several peaks that have a named Benchmark that does not match the USGS Peak Name.

Like this one:

You had to make it political on election day, didn't you? :fight:

Postby ameristrat » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:45 pm

That's pretty funny. Should have a debate up top.
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal

Postby Rich H » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:18 pm

I think it is the difference between what Roach is calling it and maybe what List of John and/or summitpost has it as.

ps thanks Chicago...I've been wondering if that is the best way to get it from.
"If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world."