Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

A few super noob Backcountry Ski questions!

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Re: A few super noob Backcountry Ski questions!

Postby climbingaggie03 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:36 pm

I bought my first AT setup last fall. I've had several 100+ day season in bounds and I've done a fair amount of hiking, climbing, and snow shoeing. I went with a super burly setup that I love in bounds as much as out. I've got some K2 obsetheds with Marker Duke bindings and some tecnica agent at boots. I want to say I paid $250 for the skis and bindings and $150 for the boots. I used ebay, but craigslist works, as well as there's a couple of resale shops in summit county that are good. Wilderness Sports (I think) in dillon has a top floor that is all used gear and they usually have a wide variety of AT setups.

My setup is fantastic in bounds and I probably spent more than half my resort days on it last year. It's also fantastic skiing it downhill in the backcountry. It's not the lightest setup for skinning and it is a bit of a pain having to take my skis off to switch to downhill from uphill. (though I have to do that anyways to take my skins off) If you want to do alot of touring and uphill this is definitely not the setup for you, but if you're wanting to do both well, it's something to consider.

You might consider buying a back country setup and spending most of this season skiing adventurous lines at resorts and doing some mellow touring (like skiing to a few cabins. Several resorts have hike to (or hike back) terrain that you could skin to. Also skiing fringe lines at the resorts is a good way to get used to the more varied conditions that you'll run into in the back country.

If you do need to buy skins, I recommend Climbing skins direct. they're great skins and near half the price of most other skins.

Postby Dave B » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:37 am

oldschoolczar wrote:So you can get good AT boots that will fit randonee and alpine bindings? Someone mentioned a heel block? Looks like Dynafit makes some quality boots and bindings...

Yep. In fact Fritschi randonee bindings work the same way alpine bindings do, it's just the whole base plate pivots from the toe.

In fact, one of my BC partners always tours in his alpine boots, just buckled very loosely. It seems like it would be incredibly uncomfortable (especially when there is walking involved) but he never seems to complain...
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Postby oldschoolczar » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:58 pm

^Thanks man.. I spent a lot of time learning this weekend.. talked to some people at Bent Gate and just played with some of the gear. They had some good gear on clearance, but I didn't snag anything yet..

I see how the typical AT bindings work now where the entire binding pivots.. Do those dynafit bindings have a release mechanism like alpine bindings so your skis will pop off? I'm talking about the ones with the little pins that insert into the holes in the toe plate of the boot..

I also need to do some research and find a boot with a wider toebox. The 2 boots I tried seemed to have a narrow toebox whereas they felt good otherwise..

There's definitely some good used gear and good older gear out there. They had sweet new Icelantics from 2011-12 that were like $350! Sale was over today though.. Does anybody ski on those Shamans?
"Tonight I'll shave the mountain
I'll cut the hearts from pharoahs"
-Tom Waits

Postby cheeseburglar » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:06 pm

Have you checked out:
http://www.wildsnow.com/
Lots of info on their, Lou likes backcountry skiing.
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes

Postby tommyboy360 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:05 am

Carl wrote:Image

Another lesson. Post your photos like this. No cheese ball personal blog logo in the corner. +1 to Carl for showing how to post a proper powder photo.
“It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Postby Bean » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:10 am

tommyboy360 wrote:Another lesson. Post your photos like this. No cheese ball personal blog logo in the corner. +1 to Carl for showing how to post a proper powder photo.

Thank you for your highly constructive criticism, it has been taken under advisement.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby Cruiser » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:46 am

cheeseburglar wrote:Have you checked out:
http://www.wildsnow.com/
Lots of info on their, Lou likes backcountry skiing.

+1 Wild Snow has as a wealth of information about different skis, bindings, boots, and avy gear. Spend some time reading the posts there and you'll be well on your way to becoming a wannabe weight weenie! And yes, dynafits do release similar to alpine bindings during falls. It's probably not quite as predictable but if they're mounted and adjusted properly it's very close.

Oh and FWIW I don't mind the watermark in photos of bc ski stoke. At least Bean's taking the time to post the goodness for us couch jockeys.

Hey Carl is that Marshal in the pic?
Where ever you are... There you are.

Postby Carl » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:50 am

Cruiser wrote:Hey Carl is that Marshal in the pic?

Nope, haven't gotten the chance to ski with Marshall yet. That's a shot of me that my friend Gary took last season.

As for the watermark, I appreciate the shout out Tommy but I gotta say I'm cool with Bean bringing the heavy camera along, taking the time to get high quality photos like this one, and then receiving credit when he or others post them up in the public arena.

Postby Cruiser » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:11 am

Nice form! Makes it look like you've sent that rock a time or two before. =D>
Where ever you are... There you are.

Postby tommyboy360 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:19 pm

Perhaps a watermark that reads a little more Bean like... "No Walking Down." I just had to mess with the name of the blog after seeing it in so many photos. Your photo was killer... Who get's the credit for that camera action?
“It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Postby Bean » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:08 pm

tommyboy360 wrote:Perhaps a watermark that reads a little more Bean like... "No Walking Down."

Brilliant! I might need to "re-brand" soon.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Previous