La Plata...looking for some input

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
bigredmachine
14ers: 58 
13ers: 34
Trip Reports (1)

La Plata...looking for some input

Post by bigredmachine »

I Ended up getting the day off work tomorrow weather looks pretty good, thought I might be able to get one more 14er in this year. I have two friends (pretty good shape) who want to go but neither have done any 14ers. Is the southwest ridge this late in the year a good option? any other suggestions. I'm not too worried about a little bit of snow, but none of us have gaiters or spikes. Any info on the current conditions is appreciated.
kushrocks
14ers: 58  25 
13ers: 65 2
Trip Reports (5)

Re: La Plata...looking for some input

Post by kushrocks »

You might be able to get away without gators but I would recommend micro spikes. What time are you thinking of starting tomorrow?
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."
bigredmachine
Trip Reports (1)

Post by bigredmachine »

leaving denver by 5
Holmoose
14ers: 51 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Holmoose »

Did you go? I'm curious as to the conditions myself.
ulvetano
14ers: 58  9  7 
13ers: 48 2 1
Trip Reports (20)

Post by ulvetano »

Kush-microspokes are for the birds and never needed. :)
Dancesatmoonrise
14ers: 58  43 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (68)

Post by Dancesatmoonrise »

ulvetano wrote:Kush-microspokes are for the birds and never needed. :)
Def see ridin' one o' them microspokes on long early season approaches.

bigredmachine
Trip Reports (1)

Post by bigredmachine »

Yes and we did the southwest ridge, it was a beutiful day. I highly recommend this route. I met a few people at the summitt who did the standard northern trail (obviously much more snow). Getting ready to do a conditions report now.