Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

climbing timberline falls - class 3?

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

climbing timberline falls - class 3?

Postby unix_girl » Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:02 pm

does anyone know what class the scramble up timberline falls in RMNP is? i know it's very short; but is it equivalent to class 3 climbing? my friend and i were at glass lake this friday and it was gorgeous. tons of fog and drizzle, no snow,
but hail. we did hear thunder while on the far side of glass lake long before noon forcing us to skip sky pond.
Last edited by unix_girl on Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: climbing timberline falls - class 3?

Postby timstich » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:06 am

Do you mean the trail up the right side facing the falls? I'd say it's more like class 2, if that. It can be wet sometimes. But I've always done that part with a huge pack of gear to climb the Cathedral Spires.

Postby Tommy Dorr » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:45 am

i agree. maybe 2+. class 3 is a slight strech. however, that rock is usually wet.

great hike though. Alberta , Loch, Timberline, Sky and Glass all in one shot. for some reason, there is very poor drianage on the trail itself. i was kinda surprised at how quickly puddleing happened with a small amount of rain.
"Try not... do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"When the Power of Love overcomes the Love for Power, then the world will Know Peace." - Jimi Hendrix

Postby RWStarkey » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:12 pm

You definitely have to use your hands on at least 50 feet or so of it. There is really only one 10-15 foot spot you have to be careful as that short section is definitely class 2+ or 3. Did it about 2 weeks ago. Sky Pond and that alpine valley/shelf is so amazing!

Postby Paragon4 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:10 pm

Hey could anyone tell me how I get to this place? I'm coming from KS the first weekend of Oct and want to see some cool views

Postby ChrisRoberts » Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:30 pm

2+, but as said before it can be wet, and that doesnt help. I first did it with ice when I was about 12 and it wasn't much fun.

Paragon4 wrote:Hey could anyone tell me how I get to this place? I'm coming from KS the first weekend of Oct and want to see some cool views

If you get up early enough, you can park at Glacier Gorge TH, follow signs to Alberta Falls. Continue up the trail to a major junction, follow the trail to The Loch. Once you reach the lake you'll continue on to Timberline Falls, up the falls to Lake of Glass, then a quick jaunt up to Sky Pond. Its a very popular hike, so you might have to park at Bear Lake TH and take a small connector trail that connects to the main trail. Lots of signage along the way.
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
Read all about my schemes and adventuring at NoCo Chris Latest TR: Laramie-Poudre Tunnel and UN 10060

Postby zdero1 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:20 am

dhdjshf wrote:Tree Wall Decals liven up nurseries, kids bedrooms, and playrooms with styles that bring childhood to lifestyle. This Children Walls Decals are particularly good for use in kids’ area structure furnishings. Increase styles are popular in many homes, appealing to kids sense of wonder and playfulness. Increase styles are available as convenient stem & keep stickers. Examples of wonderful balloon styles to consider include the Increase Flower Wall Decals de Polar Bear Family Walls Tag, the Kawaii Ostrich Walls Tag, and the I Like Sunny Day Walls Decals.

That's great, Sandusky...now go away.

Postby Stephen Butler » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:39 pm

You have probably already done this hike. I did it in June of this year and it wasn't bad at all. The climb just off of the falls wasn't too bad, probably class 2+ or 3 but only for about 30 feet. Good luck if you haven't done it.