Yale / Huron conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
sgladbach
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 710 37
Trip Reports (29)

Yale / Huron conditions

Post by sgladbach »

After last week's snow, I'm not certain how much snow might be on the route. I intend to take some novice's up the standard ( SW Slopes ) route. Specifically, can we get by w/o gaiters?

What about Huron ? Route and road conditions. Would we need gaiters? Can I drive a Corolla to Winfield?
"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
dehrlich101
14ers: 46  2 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (21)

Re: Yale / Huron conditions

Post by dehrlich101 »

Heading to Oxford/Belford tomorrow morning.. I'll meander up to Winfield afterwards and get back to you on the conditions.
I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in - Aldo Leopold

Support Colorado Search and Rescue - CORSAR Card

LOJ
sgladbach
Trip Reports (29)

Post by sgladbach »

You da man!
cory1223oh
14ers: 24 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cory1223oh »

Climbed Huron last Saturday (10/27). The road to Winfield was dry, but there was a steep icy slope 0.4 miles past Winfield on the 4WD road that stopped us. A Corolla can definitely make it to Winfield. It's an easy hike the rest of the 1.3m to the upper trailhead and is pretty flat. We didn't encounter anything that would require gaiters, but I would definitely recommend microspikes if you all have them. There was just enough snow to make things slick in spots, especially on the way down. I'd definitely recommend Huron for the novices. It's not too long and the views of the Apostles are incredible.
GeezerClimber
14ers: 58 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (0)

Post by GeezerClimber »

There is very little snow on Yale. You will have no trouble with the standard route.

Dave
dehrlich101
14ers: 46  2 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (21)

Post by dehrlich101 »

Road to Winfield is in good condition, a little bit of mud by the Vicksburg museum but I had no problem getting though it in 2WD.
sgladbach
Trip Reports (29)

Post by sgladbach »

Thanks guys!
BKS
14ers: 58  5  1 
13ers: 54 7 3
Trip Reports (3)

Post by BKS »

Steve: several weeks ago on Belford via Elkhead I was postholing to my knees in spots in the upper basin. That was before the snows of last week. I think gaitors are needed.
nfire
14ers: 33 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by nfire »

me and my buddy climbed yale on saturday 11/3. on a couple places, the trail had snow patches you had to walk across, but no threat of postholing whatsoever. gaiters, microspikes, or any other type of snow prep completely unnecessary right now. 95% of the trail was summertime condition. great freakin day in the sawatch!