Any current beta on Bison Peak area?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
AndYouSeeMe
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 209 25
Trip Reports (23)

Any current beta on Bison Peak area?

Post by AndYouSeeMe »

I have a friend who suddenly lost her dog last week and they want to head up to climb Bison via Lost Park.

She would like to go this weekend but is not equipped for much more than a dusting of snow.

Any chance someone has some recent beta on the LCW?

Thanks in advance!
Brian Thomas
14ers: 58  9 
13ers: 130
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Any current beta on Bison Peak area?

Post by Brian Thomas »

Good afternoon Aaron,

I went up 11,762' and around McCurdy from the Twin Eagles TH on Sunday and there was only 1-2" of snow in scattered spots along the trail. Near the summits there were some pockets around 6-8" deep but mostly avoidable.

http://www.picpaste.com/2012-10-28_11-3 ... OZNP5i.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Brian Thomas on Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Floyd
14ers: 58 
13ers: 100
Trip Reports (35)

Post by Floyd »

Aaron, sorry to hear that. Matt mentioned he was in the LCW last weekend. You may want to drop him a line. It didn't sound like there was much on the ground but the "scrambly" sections of the rocks were too icy to do much climbing.

-Scot
"Athletes express themselves physically, this is their art. As an athlete, exhausting oneself on the field or or on the track or on the trail or on the mountain brings calm and satisfaction. Thrashing about… our expression." - Steve Gleason
AndYouSeeMe
Trip Reports (23)

Post by AndYouSeeMe »

Thanks you all for the info! I am going to forward her this thread right now.

There is NO lost dog however, I repeat NO lost dog. I'm sure search parties were forming but this will not result in dancing with Ellen and $2500 from Columbia.

I didn't finish my thought in the OP. What I meant to say is that she lost her dog and want to scatter the ashes up there since it was one of the pups favorite places. My bad!

7 yr old healthy German Shepard suffered a massive stroke. :(
cftbq
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (32)

Post by cftbq »

I have been to the mountaintop, and I have seen the force
and the power that animates the universe. That may not
match up with your anthropomorphic or teleological idea of
what "god" is, but it's good enough for me.
AndYouSeeMe
Trip Reports (23)

Post by AndYouSeeMe »

I did look at that when it was posted. Unfortunately that's from 18 days ago, the beta from others so far is MUCH more current. Thanks though.
cftbq
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (32)

Post by cftbq »

AndYouSeeMe wrote:I did look at that when it was posted. Unfortunately that's from 18 days ago, the beta from others so far is MUCH more current. Thanks though.
To my knowledge, there hasn't been much if any new snow since then.
I have been to the mountaintop, and I have seen the force
and the power that animates the universe. That may not
match up with your anthropomorphic or teleological idea of
what "god" is, but it's good enough for me.
climbing_rob
14ers: 58 
13ers: 121
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbing_rob »

Conditions are prime right now in the LCW. We did a nice 6-peak jaunt last Saturday, hiking out of Lost Park CG, the little snow that was there was trivial, and after a warm week should be virtually gone. Enjoy this fantastic place, and sorry about your pal's lost pooch.