Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Where is the SNOW!!!

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Where is the SNOW!!!

Postby cheeseburglar » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:27 pm

OK. PM sent. If anyone can produce a sacrifice to the marmot mountain gods that works, it will be you, Kiefer.
I'd recommend using a dogfish instead of a seal, but it's your attempt.
If you fail, I will give it a try my way.
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes

Postby yorksman » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:25 am

If you already don't know about the Open Snow website by local Meteorologist Joel Gratz check it out. I started following him last year about this time of year and I have found him to be more accurate than any local TV weatherman or other weather realated sites.
http://www.jodygrigg.com - Mountains scenes of Colorado and more.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jody-Grigg-Photography/262024160516067 Jody Grigg Photography Facebook

Postby Mark A Steiner » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:15 am

I would have to go along with Bean's post extending the snow deficiency to the end of the year, after this, then what?

As described by San Juan Ron, the southwest mountains are very dry. The Dunton Hot Springs web can shows a snowless SW slope for El Diente Peak.

Probably too early to be concerned, but the jet stream and pressure configuration over western North America does not appear to encourage moist systems from the Pacific. That can change with little of no warning, but since last year at this time, sustaining a moist weather pattern in the West has become more of a hope than an expectation.
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Good day.

Postby Lemmiwinks » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:44 am

EatinHardtack wrote:Damn You Bill Middlebrook!!!! Although I am pretty sure he wants the snow also.

I suggested to my buddies last night that we need to sacrifice something. A ritual killing always brings the goods.

What did you have in mind?
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer

Postby TeamDino5280 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:44 pm

"Real adventure is defined best as a journey from which you may not come back alive, and certainly not as the same person."
- Yvon Chouinard
"I try to play by the mountain’s rules instead of mine."
- Lou Dawson

Postby Dave B » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:52 pm

TeamDino5280 wrote:This is promising

http://opensnow.com/powder?type=longterm

Sweet, right on the days I have to travel...
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Postby J-RockandRockpile » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:11 pm

SchralpTheGnar wrote:If we don't act now, it may be too late.

If we could only cease to exist...
I have been to the top of the mountain, and it is good

Postby MuchosPixels » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:26 am

Hang in there. Snow and winter will be back (or start!) in about 9-10 days.

Screen Shot 2012-11-02 at 10.14.52 AM.png
Screen Shot 2012-11-02 at 10.14.52 AM.png (277.14 KiB) Viewed 251 times

Postby ajkagy » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:35 am

I'm liking the looks of the GFS model on the next storm...I do think the pattern will change in a big way come mid NOV. For people that hate snow, better get your hiking in this weekend :)
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby EatinHardtack » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:27 am

ajkagy wrote:I'm liking the looks of the GFS model on the next storm...I do think the pattern will change in a big way come mid NOV. For people that hate snow, better get your hiking in this weekend :)

First Rule of long range snow forecasts: Don't talk of long range snow forecasts.
Second Rule of long range snow forecasts: Don't talk of long range snow forecasts.
"In our youths our hearts were touched with fire" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Postby Bean » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:33 am

EatinHardtack wrote:
ajkagy wrote:I'm liking the looks of the GFS model on the next storm...I do think the pattern will change in a big way come mid NOV. For people that hate snow, better get your hiking in this weekend :)

First Rule of long range snow forecasts: Don't talk of long range snow forecasts.
Second Rule of long range snow forecasts: Don't talk of long range snow forecasts.

Third Rule of long range snow forecasts: It'll be a cut-off low.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

PreviousNext